Doc Watts

Battery/ Something else

Doc Watts

I’ve got a brand new battery on C-160 , I just purchased. I put new points, condenser  , new carb, fuel pump, in-line filter. Any how it acts like something is drawing the life out of the battery.

I have to jump it in order to get it running. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

• Sad 1

8ntruck

If you need to jump it to make it crank, start by checking all of the battery cable connections.  Make sure they are clean and tight, not only at the battery, but at the starter solenoid and at the ground connection to the frame.

Is your brand new battery fully charged?

What did you set the point gap at?  It should be in the neighborhood of .018" to .020".  Assuming that your engine is a Kohler single cylinder, improperly set points affect the spark timing, which can make an engine hard to start.

Good luck.  

I'm sure others will be chiming in with more ideas and probably more questions.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Wheel-N-It

Put a digital voltmeter on your battery when the engine is running. Throttled up a bit you should read 13.6 - 14.5 DC

If you're battery is getting a charging voltage then your battery may need to be replaced, Batteries nowdays are not as good as they used to be. They are all made out of recycled lead.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Doc Watts agree with others above on possibilites to issue . personally found ELECTRICAL GROUNDING  to be the culptit more often than not , trusting / counting on original ground areas , are rusty / corroded / painted . added a ground cable from battery ground bolt point to engine corner / frame , serated washers , dielectric grease , also added another ground wire to  engine  charge point , insuring output into system . this also woke up the amperage gauge , to verify charging state . also have a BATTERY TENDER  , plug in , wire wrapped on to my choke cable , always easy to plug in . once you find it , enhance it , verify its output , make it a strong point ,  good luck , pete 

• Like 1

squonk

Go buy a cheap 12 volt test light from Harbor Freight, The one that looks like an ice pick with a cord and alligator clip at the other end. Disconnect the ground wire at the battery. Clip the light to the battery ground terminal and touch the ice pick end to the negative cable. The light is now connected in series. Make sure the key is OFF!! If the light glows you have something drawing down the battery. Start unhooking things one by on until the light dims or goes out. If you unhook something and that happens, you found your source of your trouble.

• Like 3

pacer

If you can jump it, with a new battery --- Sounds like the solenoid to me...........