RJM

518H/Onan P218G 'clean-up'

RJM

I'm in the process of cleaning carbon, checking valves/setting clearances and general "de-gunking"/cleaning up my 1988, 1100 hour P218g Onan  that I have owned since new.  It was running ok but had a fair amount of valve noise so since I had to pull exhaust and intake manifolds and because the engine had never had a 'deep cleaning' - I pulled it out of the tractor and I'm giving it a good look see.

Nothing real note worthy.  Head bolts were snug but sure not 'tight' to specs.  Front cylinder showed signs of a leaking head gasket and it was running noticeably richer than the rear.  I haven't gotten to the valve setting yet.

I'm surprised the carbon levels seem not bad for 1100 hours and never using any kind of top engine additives to my normal fuel load.

I have a question:  As I start to reassemble things - should I be using any anti-seize on any bolts but especially the head bolts?  The engine service manual says ..."lubricated with new engine oil before torquing." 

Stick to that only or should I put a light touch of anti-seize on them?  Thanks

Achto
23 minutes ago, RJM said:

The engine service manual says ..."lubricated with new engine oil before torquing."

I usually stick with engine oil.

• Excellent 1

Handy Don

1100 hours and low carbon is not surprising to me if you’ve been keeping the cooling fins clean, running at or near full throttle, and not letting the gas get old.

Oil and a good torque wrench are your friends, right? I used to be a “that’ll do it” tightener. Gifted a good torque wrench by my children, I learned I’ve been under tightening some and over tightening others. Thankfully never paid badly for that but was lucky.

• Like 1

ri702bill

And do go back to recheck the head torque after EACH thermal cycle - it took me SIX rechecks on a 6 HP Tecky to get it to give a proper no-loss reading once cooled off....