Redav72

1985 310-8

Redav72

Hey team,

working on a 310-8 that I picked up last month on FB.  Wiring was a mess, lots of fused wires, no fuse, etc…

I’m doing a complete rewire but I wanted to start by just getting the engine to run with the absolute minimum.  I have connected the positive battery terminal to the coil and the negative to the engine block.  With that connected I touch the positive to the starter and it engages the flywheel.  All good so far but no combustion.

I pulled the plug and grounded it to the head to see if I was getting spark.  After seeing a spark I adjusted the points.  Still no luck.

When I spin the flywheel it feels like I’m getting compression but I don’t have a gauge to know for sure. 

other questions.  It doesn’t have an hour meter or voltage meter like the demystification guide describes.  Did a previous owner lose them or did some 85 models not include them?

wallfish

Have you tried spraying some carb cleaner or squirt some gas directly into the carb? Then give it a go

Is there a condenser connected somewhere on the neg side of the coil somewhere?

Wheel-N-It

I'm with John. Spray some carb cleaner in the carburetor and open the throttle. Try not to use either. See what it does then

Redav72

Yep, affirmative on both counts.

• Like 1

wallfish

Maybe try a few drops of fuel directly into the plug hole.

Could the intake valve be stuck closed?

Redav72

Score!  5th times a charm!

• Like 4

Redav72

Ok, related question.  I have two wires coming out of the engine for charging (DC) and lights (AC).  One is yellow, the other black.  Which is which?

wallfish

Measure them with a multi-meter. Both probably go to the rectifier/regular and the out of that is 12v DC

Although there are some systems that are different but I'm going by the most common scenario

• Like 2

Pullstart

As for compression checks, if a starter can blow your thumb off of the spark plug hole, it should be able to start and run.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

J854D

@Redav72, The wiring diagram that I looked at for a 1985 310-8 showed it having a 3 amp unregulated charging system. The diagram shows a green and a white wire coming out of the engine. Both will be AC. It is entirely possible a PO could have used different colored wires. However one of the wires should have a diode in it to convert AC to DC. That will be the charging wire. The diode would most likely be soldered into the wire & covered with insulation and/or tape giving it a more bulky appearance in the wire. The other wire would be the AC wire for the lights. Hope this helps! -JD-

Edited by J854D
spelling correction

Redav72

@J854D so when I tested with a multi-meter is seem to get AC on the white wire and DC on the black.  The wiring diagram I found says the opposite.  Should I consider adding a regulator/rectifier?  Is there any risk if the AC and DC are switched?  

J854D

@Redav72, if you have DC on one of your wires then it will have the diode installed in it as per the 3amp unregulated charging system. That will have to be the charging system wire. The 12 volt DC battery won’t react very well to the AC current if you switch the wires. As far as adding a regulator/rectifier to your engine you would first have to eliminate the diode in your DC wire since the reg./rect. takes care of converting AC to DC. Also what I’m thinking is the stators under the flywheel are different between a 3amp unregulated system vs a system that uses a reg./rect. A Kohler illustrated parts list would indicate that when using your engine model and spec numbers to look up the stator.   -JD-

Edited by J854D

pfrederi

You would have to replace the stator if you want to install a regulator

Redav72

Alright, she’s running.  Full rewire with new key switch and solenoid.  Can someone post a pic showing the stock cable path for choke and throttle on a 310-8?

• Like 1