formariz

Tool box top

8ntruck

That is almost too nice to work on!

Beautiful work.

• Like 2

squonk

Very nice! One shop I worked at if you had a butcher block top on your box, you were considered a "Butcher" :( I liked them because they were quieter when you were working on a pump or somethign and they were easier on painted parts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ri702bill

Most folks I have worked with that have mobile workbenches or mobile toolboxes with wood tops added a sacrificial clear sheet of Lexan - oilproof and keeps the wood "damage-free"'

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3

formariz
46 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Most folks I have worked with that have mobile workbenches or mobile toolboxes with wood tops added a sacrificial clear sheet of Lexan - oilproof and keeps the wood "damage-free"'

I have noticed some like that. Specially if they bought them from Snap-On which charges an absolutely ridiculous amount for a skinny top. Kind of defeats the purpose of the top. It’s also the marks and the wear that gives it character. Can always be sanded and refinished also. Marks and wear are a normal thing , the idea is to work on it but not into it. 
 It’s got a pretty tough finish. Ten coats of Marine Spar Varnish  on top and edges, and three on the bottom. All coats dried for 48 hours each and rubbed between coats. 

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
25 minutes ago, formariz said:

I have noticed some like that. Specially if they bought them from Snap-On which charges an absolutely ridiculous amount for a skinny top. Kind of defeats the purpose of the top. It’s also the marks and the wear that gives it character. Can always be sanded and refinished also. Marks and wear are a normal thing , the idea is to work on it but not into it. 
 It’s got a pretty tough finish. Ten coats of Marine Spar Varnish  on top and edges, and three on the bottom. All coats dried for 48 hours each and rubbed between coats. 

And maybe some day, it’ll be his grandkid’s table :orcs-cheers:  Awesome work Cas!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

I have absolutely tortured Columbian vises, worth every penny.