8ntruck

Yearly Maintenance Check

8ntruck

Had an appointment with the dermatologist today for a skin cancer scan.  The doctor was soft spoken and she was wearing a mask, so I did mot understand a lot of what she was saying.  A lot of 'repeat that please' on my part.  Just to make sure, I repeated what I thought she said in plain English to confirm what I thought she said.  Worked out in the end - all good and come back again next year.

Point here being, keep up on your own maintenance checks, and if you don't understand the doc, keep asking questions until you do.

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

There is a PA at the Family practice I go to that a culmination of things makes it almost impossible for me to understand just what she is saying about my test results. Drives me crazy!!

1. She speaks English as a second language.

2. She is quite soft spoken.

3. She speaks rather fast.

4. Yes, being almost 70, I can no longer hear as well as in my twenties - I attribute 46 years of Marriage for that !!:techie-hourglass:

I have to constantantly ask her to speak up, and slow it down to a level I can grasp.

(I bet at home with her 2 kids there is a loud "Mommy Voice" in there...).:o

• Like 4

Sparky
On 6/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, 8ntruck said:

Had an appointment with the dermatologist today for a skin cancer scan.  

Point here being, keep up on your own maintenance checks, and if you don't understand the doc, keep asking questions until you do.

Good idea for that full skin check. I had two cancers found. Squamous removed from my face and melanoma from my shoulder this year. 
  Safe bet I’ll have a few more found and removed before I die of old age (currently 57). I’m now going every 3 months for a year and if all is good then every 6 months and eventually back to once a year. 
  So all you young guys! Don’t be like me…wear sunscreen!! 

IMG_7163.jpeg

• Like 5

tunahead72

Good advice guys, I'll add my :twocents-twocents: ...

First, back up half a step...  If you haven't had a full physical in a while, just do it, you know you should.

When your primary doc says "you have some areas on your skin that I don't like, I'd like you to see a dermatologist for a full scan", just do that too.  Don't wait like I did -- I got lucky, but it could have been much worse.

And when your dermatologist says "we should take care of these areas soon", let him do that.  When he says "I'd like to see you again in x months", make an appointment for your next visit before you walk out of the office, before you forget or change your mind.

And finally, all that advice you hear about sunscreen, and wearing a hat and long-sleeved shirts and all that, listen to it, because it matters.  At some point in your life you might come to realize that being in the sun really isn't that exciting any more.

All right, so maybe that was :twocents-twocents: :twocents-twocents: worth.

• Like 3

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Good idea for that full skin check. I had two cancers found. Squamous removed from my face and melanoma from my shoulder this year. 
  Safe bet I’ll have a few more found and removed before I die of old age (currently 57). I’m now going every 3 months for a year and if all is good then every 6 months and eventually back to once a year. 
  So all you young guys! Don’t be like me…wear sunscreen!!

I had a friend that spent all of his none working hours on boat, car and snowmobile racing, he never had time for a girl friend or wife to watch his back.  When the irritation on his back got severe enough to see a doctor it was too late.  He was a great guy that only made it to his fifties.  Listen to Sparky!

• Like 3

ri702bill

Good advise there. Mike.

The small scar the procedure will leave definetly give you some "Street Cred" !!  :ROTF:

Sparky
32 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Good advise there. Mike.

The small scar the procedure will leave definetly give you some "Street Cred" !!  :ROTF:

We all know…”chicks dig scars” B)

• Like 1

ri702bill
13 minutes ago, Sparky said:

We all know…”chicks dig scars” B)

:roll: