Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

Another Money Pit

wallfish

I just picked up another money pit today. I guessing a 400 suburban and could use some help to ID what

perry

atleast the hood looks complete.

looks a little better than my 400 i hauled in 2 days ago. its allfroze up .

fireman

Nice tractor John :thumbs2: . I have the manual for that if you need it in PDF format.

wallfish

Nice tractor John :thumbs2: . I have the manual for that if you need it in PDF format.

I could use that Jeff. The drawings at Toro are so faded that you can't see the steering parts.

Thanks

uremailing@yahoo.com

MikesRJ

Nice find John, looks like you're going to be a busy boy!

64s

John, I'm glad it was one of you guys that beat me to it. Good luck!!! George

Coadster32

I'm pretty sure the steering parts I got are the correct ones. The steering setup on yours looks a little sketchy to me. I also have the seat and spring also. Bid it up man!! Too bad you didn't need them at the last meet-n-greet. You could have gotten them right then. Never know what's around the corner.

stevebo

John,

I have a donor 502 frame and some parts (no seat or sheet metal or rear end) but maybe some steering parts... Let me know if the parts from a 502 would work.

clintonnut

I have a seat spring and shifter if you want it.

Charlie

wallfish

I have a seat spring and shifter if you want it.

Charlie

I could definately use them Charlie. Let me know how much. Did you get the email I sent earlier today?

wallfish

John,

I have a donor 502 frame and some parts (no seat or sheet metal or rear end) but maybe some steering parts... Let me know if the parts from a 502 would work.

Thanks Steve, I'll see if I win Coadster's stuff on ebay and I think the 502s are front engines which will not work. I haven't looked at the spindles yet but that might be a possibility if they are the same.

wallfish

I'm pretty sure the steering parts I got are the correct ones. The steering setup on yours looks a little sketchy to me. I also have the seat and spring also. Bid it up man!! Too bad you didn't need them at the last meet-n-greet. You could have gotten them right then. Never know what's around the corner.

If I had the tractor for the meet & greet you wouldn't have those tires I want back :thumbs2:

captjake

Nice tractor! I have two that i'm overhauling. I'll take a few photos of the steering on my 400. Good luck.

linen beige

I am now looking to buy the parts needed to put her back to her original glory, so if anyone can help out with anything please let me know. Items that I know of are: Gas tank, seat spring, shifter, throttle/choke levers, lift cable, belt guard and heat shield.

A K-91 or Clinton maybe? :thumbs2:

The steering should have the gear on the end of the shaft and the geared sector underneath, just like the 401.

I'm intrigued by the "hump" in the hood around where the steering shaft goes through. I've not seen that before.

I'm also curious as to why the back of the hood is higher than the front. It was probably raised up to clear a larger engine, and the extra holes in the frame indicate it has had one mounted. Did someone alter the wings on the top of the hoodstand that hold the hood sides?

tgranthamfd

Wallfish here is the steering rod, if that is the correct name, that connects to the spindles on each end, and the drag link that connects on the hole towards the middle.

DSC00900.jpg

and the drag link should look like this.

DSC00902.jpg

It's not a very good pic. but this is the gear , view from the bottom side of the tractor.

DSC00891.jpg

Hope this helps, I have a ton of pictures if you need another view, or I completed putting the parts back on this weekend but haven't gotten them uploaded yet. When I get them uploaded, I can show you a pic from the underneith side, if you want. This is a 60 model suburban.

wallfish

captjake ---Looks like tgranthamfd sent what I needed for the steering. Thanks

tgranthamfd --- Thanks fot the pics

linen beige --- I already have a motor and the hump where the steering shaft goes through looks like PO welded in a collar or something. I noticed the hood tilting down in the pics but haven't really looked at the tractor to see why.

Coadster32

If I had the tractor for the meet & greet you wouldn't have those tires I want back

How's it feel to want!! :thumbs2:

I think I might still have the steering link with the ball joints on it kicking around too. When I get a chance, I'll look for you.