Sign in to follow this  
Crow Horse

More B-80 Charging Issues....??

Crow Horse

I've been chasing the electrical gremlins for some time trying to resolve an ammeter/charging issue.

Readers Digest Version:

Stator is good - 35 volts AC at full throttle.

Replaced:

ignition switch

voltage rectifier/regulator & grounded to battery

new battery

new ammeter

Will begin to replace cables and then wires with suitable marine grade tinned wire.

Here's the symptom - Ammeter shows that it's not charging. At startup it will discharge, then slowly climb to "0". I thought if it functioned correctly, it should swing into the positive side. Battery voltage at full throttle is 14.4v, so it is charging, just not indicating that on the ammeter. Any ideas....??

BTW, I do have a wiring diagram....

JimD

i have a b-80 that does the same thing. shows slightly below charging on the ammeter. the battery is charging so i don't think it's a problem. it makes me wonder about the accuracy of the ammeter though.

Crow Horse

Thanks Fan! I'm happy that the battery is charging, but it drives me insane knowing that the ammeter SHOULD read in the charge zone and doesn't. My old ammeter did the same thing and I thought it was a defect with it. Now, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm really anal about wiring and this one has me scratching my head.

In a twisted sense, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.....

The old ammeter was a Stewart Warner unit that was illuminated. The new one is a different mfg. and isn't illuminated (no big deal). I removed the remaining light wire from the ignition switch.

I'll stay the course and keep replacing cables and wires with marine grade cable and see what happens.......

Sarge

I would bet it's the ammeter, seems any of the new ones don't read very accurately. I know the old '74 C-160's meter still works perfect, surely a testament to old-school quality . I'd just look for an original used one and replace it . Or, re-route the wiring circuit and install a volt meter instead.

Sarge

Save Old Iron

With the engine turned off, turn on the head lights and see what the

Amp meter does. If it shows the battery is charging ( with out the engine

running ) , the Amp meter is hooked up backwards.

Cheers,

Crow Horse

I don't have any lights, but I could hook up something to create a load. I'll gie it a try when it stops raining (doesn't seem like it ever will here)........

Sarge, I was never a fan of ammeters and preferred voltmeters. I'll have to keep my eye out for one.....

oldandred

One thing to look at what amp meter do you have it should be the 15+ 15- if youre using any theng with more amps showing like 30-30 you want see much charge or discharge

Crow Horse

I'm using the 15-15 ammeter........

Volvoman

I've had this problem on more than one of my old Wheel Horse tractors. Poor or corroded electrical wires and/or connection points are frequently the source of problems, but from the number of components you have replaced, you have probably double-checked all of them. Have you tried another condensor? Is your coil okay? Rather than purchase all new components, having another tractor(s) that you can switch components with may help solve the problem through the process of elimination, plus it will save you the expense of having to experiment by purchasing new components needlessly. Most recently, I did this to isolate a faulty ammeter. This past spring, a malfunctioning condensor was isolated by switching it with a known good condensor from another tractor. With only a limited number of components in the entire electrical system, you can usually isolate a malfunctioning component quickly doing this. Vvm.

Crow Horse

Save Old Iron was spot on. The wiring WAS hooked up backwards. Don't I feel stupid. In my defense (if I have one) is that I hooked them up like the previous owner did. I should know better than to trust the PO's work......

Now the ammeter at start up swings to the positive side and gradually eases down to the near 0 mark. All is well. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.......

Save Old Iron

Thanks Crow Horse,

35 years in the electronics industry finally paid off !!

I was going to ask you to run down your battery to maybe 3/4 charge and "force" the system to recharge the battery. If you still saw a high "discharge" on the amp meter - then that's a sure sign the wiring was reversed.