Sailman

Best way to keep finish original on 701?

Sailman

I scored an all original 701 in pretty good condition. Don't plan to do a restoration, would prefer to keep it as original as possible. Does using penetrol on the tins hurt the value? I had to use some on the tool box and seat support due to so much bare metal after removing the rust, but wondering if its a good idea to do the rest of the tractor with it or not. Want to keep the value as high as possible. Also, better to keep the wheels and tires original? Suggestions?

SylvanLakeWH

I use Penetrol on all old paint. Just did two coats on new to me NOS A-60 electric. Remarkable results.

:twocents-twocents:

Oh... and

:wwp:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2

rmaynard

I personally just can't let it rust away. Anything that you put on it without removing rust, does nothing to stop or prevent further rust.

• Like 2

kpinnc
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I personally just can't let it rust away. Anything that you put on it without removing rust, does nothing to stop or prevent further rust.

So true. 

It's your machine, so by all means what you do is your business. 

That being said, rust has to be removed to stop it. Light surface rust can be treated with varying degrees of success- but if you can feel it, its too deep to just treat.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

Sailman

Here are the pictures. Does the penetrol treatment to the tins reduce the value of an "original"? I had to use it on the tool box, seat stand and v bracket due to the heavy rust, but tins...not so much rust.

I did the oil rub down on the fenders.

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

• Like 2