ebinmaine

Got my ultrasonic cleaner

ebinmaine

I've been experimenting with several cleaning products for carbs. 

Tried pink stuff purple stuff green stuff and some other stuff. 

Per a YouTube video I watched I tried good ole gasoline. 

Success!

Cleans excellent.  

Easily containable. 

Easily replaceable.  

Inexpensive. 

Also been experimenting with the internal container. 

Lots of folks don't fill the whole machine with the cleaning fluid. 

I liked that idea so I adopted it. 

I tried a couple types of plastic but the resonance wasn't great. 

I went to glass. Tried a couple different sizes and shapes. 

Today Trina and her mom were at the wally world. This new container landed here. 

Just excellent.  

Approximately 6 x 6 x 6. 

It'll hold at least 2 carbs. 

IMG_20230818_175708_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230818_175647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230818_180123_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230818_180131_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230818_180822_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

Since your using the glass jar do you thing you would get more ultrasonic effect by removing the basket. So jar sits on bottom. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Since your using the glass jar do you thing you would get more ultrasonic effect by removing the basket. So jar sits on bottom. 

I've wondered that myself. 

The instructions from a cleaner I read (not sure if it was mine) states to leave the basket in place to prevent damage to the interior of the unit. 

Given that it's a glass jar with dull edges and not a sharp metal part being cleaned that's resting there, I may just try it. 

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Did some reading this morning.  

Here's one of the references for keeping the basket in place:

"Why Use a Basket for Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Cleaning baskets may be an optional accessory when buying an ultrasonic cleaner. That’s because many users may already have baskets.

Ultrasonic cleaner parts baskets are needed for two major reasons:

1. Parts baskets keep products being cleaned from contact with the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner tank. Otherwise severe damage and eventual leaking will result due to vibrations.

2. Parts baskets ensure cavitation (cleaning) action is maximized by holding products at the optimum level above the tank bottom. This is why different tank dimensions call for correct basket specifications."

It's the part in bold above that made me decide to keep the basket in.   

Sailman

I'm sure this is a dumb question....never stopped me from asking in the past... :confusion-confused:

Is there any risk mixing gasoline with electronics??

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Sailman said:

I'm sure this is a dumb question....never stopped me from asking in the past... 

I was told many years ago that the ONLY dumb question is the one you DIDN'T ASK. 

9 minutes ago, Sailman said:

In this particular case the answer is 99% no. 

(Nothing is ever 100% when mixing flammables with power)

The gasoline and its vapors are contained. 

The electronic portion is all on the bottom side of the main tub.  

• Like 1

Handy Don
35 minutes ago, Sailman said:

I'm sure this is a dumb question....never stopped me from asking in the past... :confusion-confused:

My thoughts would be around having gasoline vapor in the vicinity of a 110v on/off switch. Unpleasant.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
34 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

My thoughts would be around having gasoline vapor in the vicinity of a 110v on/off switch. Unpleasant.

:text-yeahthat:

It ain't the liquid gas that's the problem...the old put out a cigarette in gas trick...

it's the vapors... 

:scared-shocked: + gas fumes = :happy-bouncyredfire:

Don't get me wrong, I use gas for cleaning stuff wrongly all the time :hide: just outside, open air, no ignition source... rag on fence outside to dry after...

:twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat:

It ain't the liquid gas that's the problem...the old put out a cigarette in gas trick...

it's the vapors... 

:scared-shocked: + gas fumes = :happy-bouncyredfire:

Don't get me wrong, I use gas for cleaning stuff wrongly all the time :hide: just outside, open air, no ignition source... rag on fence outside to dry after...

:twocents-twocents:

And that's where the 99% margins come in. 

Food for thought. 

We've been driving cars for decades that mix gasoline and tens of thousands of volts. 

And yet...... 

That said. I DO keep the vapors contained.  

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We've been driving cars for decades that mix gasoline and tens of thousands of volts. 

Note careful capping of spark plug wires--the only things higher than 12v--and well-sealed fuel systems!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

well-sealed fuel systems!

Agreed. 

Same as this jar. 

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Gary S Minnesota

A BIG FAN OF ULTRASONIC CLEANERS!

Several years ago I had pretty much given up on the Carb for my Tohatusu 4 stroke outboard.  Had run beautifully for along time and then started missing, stalling and was near impossible to start. Was using regular unleaded gas.

First I cleaned the Carb myself, dissembled and sprayed/soaked in carb cleaner etc. No improvement.  Next I took it to the local outboard engine dealer, twice!   first time he cleaned it didn’t help, so I returned it and he cleaned it a 2nd time.  Still no better.

Then I took it to a local hardware store the sells and services small engines.  They put the carb in an ultrasonic machine overnight.(not sure of their cleaner solution?)

I then reinstalled the carb on my Tohatsu and it has ran perfectly for two years now.

Apparently the tiny, tiny passages were dirty and all previous attempts weren’t able to access the crud.

BTW,  I have not ran a single drop of gasoline containing ethanol in the engine since.  I was told by both the Boat dealer and the hardware store mechanic to stay away from any ethanol in small engines.  Engine again starts easily, will idle forever and runs very smoothly.

• Excellent 1

Sailman

Agreed on the "no ethanol" in outboards or small engines! I have had issues in the past with small engine carbs not running well. Disassembly and cleaning helps BUT the real fix was to take some 12-2 wire apart and use the tiny strand of wire to clean those "iddy biddy" holes in the jets. Have several different size strands to match the jets. Made all the difference for me.

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 1

ML3

This is what I use in my ultrasonic cleaner. Works great. 

Screenshot_20231110-072050~2.png

• Like 1