The Harbor place?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Harbor

Vevor. Same thing but different.  

• Like 2

8ntruck

Would a glass jar work better than a plastic jar?  Might be an experiment you could try?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Would a glass jar work better than a plastic jar?  Might be an experiment you could try?

I'd think a glass jar would be a better transfer of sound waves. 

I used plastic for two reasons. 

1. It won't break if I drop it on the concrete floor. 

2. That's what I had on hand. 

One of the videos I watched brought up the point about breaking. 

He mentioned that the difference between glass and plastic containers might be that you'd need to run an additional 20 to 30 minute cleaning cycle for a plastic holder.  

• Like 2

ranger
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Plastic containers appear to absorb/block the vibrations to a certain extent, glass containers, less so.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, ranger said:

Plastic containers appear to absorb/block the vibrations to a certain extent, glass containers, less so.

According to what I've read most glass containers are a near 100% transfer rate. 

• Like 2

ranger
26 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

According to what I've read most glass containers are a near 100% transfer rate. 

I’ve found glass jars work fine for small items, my cleaner must be around 3-4 years old now. I’ve even used petrol / gas in the jars as a cleaning fluid! Haven’t tried the ally safe carb cleaner yet though!

CCA1973A-838D-4FA6-9D60-A99B16BEEF51.jpeg.4b38802676fdc7325f76b634baee7707.jpeg574C7423-D858-417E-9DB1-72F85BE3F98C.jpeg.63fd9f2a0ef11dcdf8210c48d2d1cea1.jpeg12645D09-2C68-4CF9-BE0C-2AE4AC98428D.jpeg.30a284883cdbf0c4dfe90b7bc5ff3473.jpeg87172C32-4286-42AC-B25E-3B3309248823.jpeg.f576b08d940016e9e0434bf97a870285.jpeg

• Like 2

ri702bill

That one looks like a baby fry-o-lator!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, ranger said:

I watched another video this morning where a commenter had mentioned to The Host about using Ziploc bags. 

I find that to be ridiculously simple and interesting as well.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I never had much luck with my ultrasonic cleaner alone. I bought it back in the late 1990's. Don't get me wrong, it worked, but with limited success. I always used a 50/50 Simple Green mix. It's been stored away now for about 10 years. I found that for carburetors, if I'd take them apart and soak them in lacquer thinner for 24 hours, then blow them out with compressed air, then place them in the ultrasonic cleaner, I'd have a much better success rate for cleaning. Lately I've just been using lacquer thinner, however, considering that a gallon of lacquer thinner now costs in the neighborhood of $25.00 I might reconsider.

Edited by rmaynard
clarity
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I never had much luck with my ultrasonic cleaner alone. I bought it back in the late 1990's. Don't get me wrong, it worked, but with limited success. I always used a 50/50 Simple Green mix. It's been stored away now for about 10 years. I found that for carburetors, if I'd take them apart and soak them in lacquer thinner for 24 hours, then blow them out with compressed air, then place them in the ultrasonic cleaner, I'd have a much better success rate for cleaning. However, considering that a gallon of lacquer thinner now costs in the neighborhood of $25.00, you must think twice.

Cost savings in the long run is certainly a big reason for using the separated container system like I tried.

I know from quite a bit of experience over the years that the pink cleaner I used is a fantabulous degreaser and will also remove some loose paint just by itself in a soaking manner.

Odds are pretty good that I'll keep whatever cleaning fluid I use set aside and try to get multiple usages out of it.

• Like 3

squonk
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Vevor. Same thing but different.  

And no part # or price posted! :angry-nono: :angry-nono:

I use a cup and a half of Simple Green purple degreaser and the rest water in my Horror Fright unit. The fluid gets pretty dirty and I feel it isn't worth it to save it to use again 

• Like 2

formariz
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

I never had much luck with my ultrasonic cleaner alone. I bought it back in the late 1990's. Don't get me wrong, it worked, but with limited success. I always used a 50/50 Simple Green mix. It's been stored away now for about 10 years. I found that for carburetors, if I'd take them apart and soak them in lacquer thinner for 24 hours, then blow them out with compressed air, then place them in the ultrasonic cleaner, I'd have a much better success rate for cleaning. Lately I've just been using lacquer thinner, however, considering that a gallon of lacquer thinner now costs in the neighborhood of $25.00 I might reconsider.

I have been using the same one gallon can and basket with lacquer thinner for over ten years. I have replaced very little of the lacquer thinner in it. Not even one quarter of it in all of those years. Essentially only what is lost on the piece being cleaned when it’s blown off. I occasionally filter it of all the debris that collects on bottom . No matter how old or dirty it never loses its effectiveness. When in use I place the can on top of a very slow moving honing wheel so there is some agitation which speeds up cleaning greatly. In less that two hours there is nothing including paint stuck to it.  In my case although tempted a few times I never saw the need for anything else. 

• Like 3

rmaynard

19 minutes ago, formariz said:

I have been using the same one gallon can and basket with lacquer thinner for over ten years. I have replaced very little of the lacquer thinner in it. Not even one quarter of it in all of those years. Essentially only what is lost on the piece being cleaned when it’s blown off.

I have a can that contains Berryman's Carburetor Cleaner. The stuff is old and it's not effective any longer. It's a gallon paint-type can, and it has I has a submersion basket inside. I think based on what you just said, I will remove the Berryman's, clean the can, and fill with lacquer thinner. Good thinking Cas. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, squonk said:

And no part # or price posted! :angry-nono: :angry-nono:

Here ya go sir.  

Screenshot_20230609-100840.png.3115d4cfa00f6b695a7befc68859814b.png

• Like 1

formariz
5 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I have a can that contains Berryman's Carburetor Cleaner. The stuff is old and it's not effective any longer. It's a gallon paint-type can, and it has I has a submersion basket inside. I think based on what you just said, I will remove the Berryman's, clean the can, and fill with lacquer thinner. Good thinking Cas. :handgestures-thumbupright:

That is exactly what I did ten years ago. Just kept basket and got a an empty gallon paint can from Home Depot. After cleaning spray guns most of my life using lacquer thinner I realized then that all I needed was right here. 

• Like 2

formariz

rmaynard
11 minutes ago, formariz said:

Makes me dizzy just watching that. 

• Haha 2

formariz
Just now, rmaynard said:

LOL. It has worked great all of these years. Indentation on bottom of can is same diameter as honer’s rim. It fits in there precisely and securely. A carburetor will come out of there in one hour looking like NOS. 

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher

Sounds like you have a handle on it Eric. Good post by all. 

• Like 2

squonk
3 hours ago, formariz said:

Science Fair | The Munsters - YouTube

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
On 6/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, rmaynard said:

Just watched it. Me too.  😃

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
On 6/9/2023 at 1:35 PM, Retired Wrencher said:

Sounds like you have a handle on it Eric. Good post by all. 

Not quite done with this yet but an update.  

Definitely impressed.  

As a reminder here's the before:

IMG_20230608_195500.jpg.acfaf05bbfcd4f2a7114582e1ecc8a90.jpg

IMG_20230608_195505.jpg.df598ac58787ea990346cbdbd171fe10.jpg

And again I purposely did NOT do any mechanical cleaning or crud removal because I wanted to really see what it would do.  

This is after 3 rounds of approximately 30 minutes each and a bit of blowgun at 80 to 100 psi.  

IMG_20230612_191923.jpg.833975907da2fca9f4d2c1e460824312.jpg

Obviously the container has a fair amount of sludge in it and that doesn't include the stuff floating in the now nasty looking cleaner I dumped out.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher

Look great Erick. Good to have the right tools for the job.

• Like 1