Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Fabricator May make 3 point Hitches for 520H

stevebo

Guys,

I sold 2 of my Case Hydros to a semi retired guy in the next town over who custom builds loaders for garden tractors. He is going to fabricate a 3 point for my Economy 1614. In speaking with him further he may be interested in making up a 3 point for a wheelhorse 520H or other models. My question to all of you is what is the best candidate for him to create a 3 point for and why?

He figures if he can make them in production with jigs etc then the cost would be lower. I offered to have him borrow my 520 as a test machine :thumbs2:

Any feedback and whys is welcome.

Lastly, what do you think these would need to sell for to actually sell? Thanks-

TT

Not to be Mr. Negativity on the 3 point hitch for the 520, but what are you going to do with the gas tank? The top link needs to attach somewhere.

bitten

If you build it they will come.

Rollerman

Not to be Mr. Negativity on the 3 point hitch for the 520, but what are you going to do with the gas tank? The top link needs to attach somewhere.

TT's right...the fuel tank on the later models really makes it tricky to make or mount a category 0 3PH.

I've seen some Sears 3PH conversion where a plate was mounted to the back....but the Sears is even smaller than a cat 0 & only works with the Sears implements.

I had a 3PH that bolted on back of a 65 to 75 Wheel Horse that bolted to the fender pivots & had a custom mount for the axle.

It's now in "Sorekiwi's" garage.

That one was patterned off the smaller Sears style.

This is a thread by Kevin "Kpinnc" showing how he fabbed one up for a Bronco 14.

Once you get past the WOW factor! you can see how involved it get's to fab one up.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=741&hl=

Hope it works out for you or your fabricateing friend....an earlier Horse with the fuel tank at the front may be an easier fab.

stevebo

Good points guys. I will see what he thinks. :thumbs2:

sorekiwi

I've seen some Sears 3PH conversion where a plate was mounted to the back....but the Sears is even smaller than a cat 0 & only works with the Sears implements.

I had a 3PH that bolted on back of a 65 to 75 Wheel Horse that bolted to the fender pivots & had a custom mount for the axle.

It's now in "Sorekiwi's" garage.

That one was patterned off the smaller Sears style.

Funny this topic should come up today, I fell over that box of stuff yesterday!

I really need to get onto that project, my problem has been deciding which tractor to put it on.

At the time I bought it from Stephen, I was coming across Sears 3pt attachments all the time that were selling for next to nothing. Of course since I got the hitch, I havent seen any! but I havent really been looking either. I do have a Sears turning plow sitting here, and plans for a bigger garden next year, so I should get onto before it gets cold.

My thoughts on implement size are that while most of the Sears stuff is pretty old, there is a lot of it around, and it sells pretty cheaply. The true Cat 0 stuff is available new, but even used commands a lot more money. The Sears 3 point equipement is sized appropriately for most of our little red tractors, sometimes I think the Cat 0 stuff looks too big.

Here's a pic of the 3pt I have (on Stephens tractor), mine is relatively simple bolt-on affair, on a lot more complicated level, Kevins thread is well worth a read, and Nick also has a thread on building one for his pocket sized monster.

Tickster.jpg

kpinnc

I have heard of a couple 500 series tractors with a 3 point added, but never seen it. I would say it is certainly possible, but as TT said earlier- the fuel tank makes for some problems. Not impossible mind you, but hard to do while keeping the "factory" look for sure.

Now if there was a way to modify the shape of the fuel tank.... :thumbs2::thumbs:

Good luck with it- and please post pics. It's a very interesting idea! :ychain:

This is a thread by Kevin "Kpinnc" showing how he fabbed one up for a Bronco 14.

Once you get past the WOW factor! you can see how involved it get's to fab one up.

Thanks Stephen!

Kevin

Wheel Horse Fan

Heck give him the 520 and see what he comes up with. What do you have to lose? If he comes up with one I will certainly buy one.

stevebo

I looked at the 520 with him yesterday and he thinks he will be able to do something... He is fabricating a three poi t for my economy 1614 today. I will keep you all posted. (He moves a little slow on these projects)