Bubbac123

Bubbac123

New Member looking for opinions. I have the options of a C-160 8 speed, a 520 HC, and a C-175 Twin Automatic. All will be restorations and I'm just looking for opinions on the better model. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Pics would help.,,

Im a gear guy so i'd go with the C160. Of course, if you bought all three there'd be no need to make a decision... :D

:twocents-mytwocents:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

All of them!!!

:ychain:

Well truth be told a C-160 8 is a bucket lister but this certain :occasion-clown: in Maine hoards them and paints them fruity tooty... I'll not mention names... :lol:

:WRS:

• Haha 4

wallfish

I'm partial to the older stuff too so C-160

I have a 520HC that I use for winter snow blowing. It's a beast but prefer Kohler over the Onans. Plus many have had issues with the valve seats on those too

• Like 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:It depends on desired usage.  I love my C160 auto. Kohlers are simpler than Onans, and the auto does everything from dirt work to excellent maneuverability while mowing.  

• Like 1

Bubbac123

My cousin owns all 3,that's how I have the choice. I built a Deere 318 out of a 318, a 316, and a 314 for him. It has front and rear pto and hydraulics, it's hydro drive and hydraulic steer. In return I get to build the Wheel horse of my choice. 1 down fall is I do not have the engine for the C175 but the 520hc and the c160 8 speed are whole and run but need work. I am partial to the C175 a little but only reason being is it is a 1980 model and I am too. 

• Like 4

Bubbac123

I will post pics soon. I will say the C160 is a beautiful tractor. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, Bubbac123 said:

In return I get to build the Wheel horse of my choice. 1 down fall is I do not have the engine for the C175 but the 520hc and the c160 8 speed are whole and run but need work. I am partial to the C175 a little but only reason being is it is a 1980 model and I am too. 

Put the C160 engine in the C175.

You get a great Kohler k341 that is simple to maintain and a Eaton 1100 Hydro that is one of the best Hydro's of that era.

PS if you decide to look for a Kohler twin for the C175 be sure it is a Series II.  The Kohler Series I had lube issues when working on a slope. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

All of them!!!

:ychain:

Well truth be told a C-160 8 is a bucket lister but this certain :occasion-clown: in Maine hoards them and paints them fruity tooty... I'll not mention names... :lol:

:ROTF:

Hey!! I resemble that remark!!

@Bubbac123

Welcome aboard. 

I'll put in my vote for the C160. 

I MAY be somewhat partial to them given consideration I only have SIX. I put that in caps and bold so @WHX?? remembers. 😂😂.  

Simplistic wiring and other repairs and maintenance. 

The Kohler 16 single cylinder is a Beast. 

The 8 speed is fairly close to bulletproof and also easily repaired. 

I do have a hydro for winter work as well. We just prefer the gear jammers around the acreage here. 

We'll be looking forward to seeing pics!!

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I only have SIX.

Sounds like you have a problem... we are here for you. Please, tell us how can we help you... :D

• Haha 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: Bubba!  Don’t mind Uncle Jim over in WI, he might not have SIX C-160s but he has everything else :handgestures-thumbupright:

You really can’t go wrong with your decision, that)s quite a deal with your cousin!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Sounds like you have a problem... we are here for you. Please, tell us how can we help you... :D

Send me a super cool easy going full-time person-of-all-trades that'll take good coffee and bad personality in trade for helping me restore and maintain the Herd. ...?

😁

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
20 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Send me a super cool easy going full-time person-of-all-trades that'll take good coffee and bad personality in trade for helping me restore and maintain the Herd. ...?

😁

Uhm... you need another BBT? :confusion-confused:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

19richie66

C-160 gets my vote even though I’m a hydro guy. 

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

My vote is C-160 !

I have one I recently purchased and I need to get to working on it.

Like some have said, It’s a bucket list Wheel Horse.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs: !!!

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 4

jay bee

C-160 gets my vote too. 
:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

clueless

It would depend on how much work and money it's going to take to restore the C-160 or the C-175. If it's close between the two go with the C-160. If the C-175 is going to take less work and money go with the C-160 :handgestures-thumbupright:. As far a the third tractor :angry-nono: go with the C-160.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1