Robaroni

The $40 muffler adventure

Robaroni

I hate noise! I know some people love the roar of loud engines but that's not me! When my friend gave me his old WH I could see right away it was a substantial machine, I could also see and hear the mushroom muffler's days would soon be over. I soon found that the WH tube muffler price was way more than I wanted to spend - cheap trumps noise, well to a point anyway. I read some reviews on cheap mufflers and decided my WH would not be shabby-ized with junk, I'm a Taurus, solidity is a biggie for me.

I found a couple of mufflers at Tractor Supply, one was an International for $36 ,now we're talking! Problem was when I looking through it I could see my hand on the other side - this is not for me! The next one up was a Ford for $40 with no clear passage, this is more like it. It was a little large but I'd figure it out and do some fancy welding - it will work.

I welded up a couple of adaptors and mounted it straight up like my John Deere 3320 tractor and even put a rain flapper on it - looks great. Trouble was the flapper rattled, I'm not giving up loudness for rattles - it won't happen! Now I'm in the shop machining Teflon bearings to get rid of the rattle, great, nice and quiet, let's take her for a spin.

This thing stinks, not only are the fumes eye level but it's like the exhaust is in my ear but how am I going to mount this thing? Undaunted I cut the muffler off and started moving it around to different positions. Truth is I always thought the upright muffler would hit low branches when I mowed anyway.

Well here's the result, no low branches problem and the end of the muffler is not at eye and ear level. I think I like it! No fumes, quiet and out of the way of branches. I painted it with Rustoleum 2000F flat black paint - eleven bucks, I splurged!

Ahhh quiet, now all I need is a little rain so the darn lawn would grow.

DSCN3929.JPG

DSCN3930.JPG

Edited by Robaroni
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 4

8ntruck

What are the dimensions of that muffler can?  Diameter, length, inlet and outlet diameter, etc.

Thanks.

Moparfanforever

I am with you on the noise thing !!

May have to get one and try it out. 

Robaroni
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

interactive muffler catalog for stanley. 

https://stanleymuffler.com/catalog/files/assets/seo/toc.html

Simple and cheap, go to TS and pick one off the shelf, pay forty bucks and tax, go home and figure out how to make it work - done! 

• Like 1

Robaroni

Okay, I mowed today, about two acres. At high engine rpms it's still louder than I'd like but at lower rpms it's mellower and quieter than the mushroom.

Edited by Robaroni

JoeM
8 hours ago, Robaroni said:

Simple and cheap, go to TS and pick one off the shelf, pay forty bucks and tax

Yeah that catalog is overwhelming!