T-Mo

Retired!

Beap52

I've been trying to retire.  Last Oct my wife had a 70th birthday party/retirement party for me.  She had a big meal with smoked brisket, pulled pork--the works.  I think some 55 people dropped by.  I started in construction in 1971 right out of high school/trade school.  We did spend 17 of my prime years as missionaries and when we returned home I returned to restoring old homes and remodeling.  What caused me to begin seriously looking into retiring was fall at the beginning of this year.  My co-worker retired a couple of years ago and I've worked by my self or with help of the homeowner.  I was nailing a 2x4 to a ceiling, the nail gun shot two nails at once and the recoil knocked me off of the third step of a step ladder.  Falling backwards, i landed on the corner of a cement block just missing my backbone.  I literally had to drive home (fortunately a short drive) keeping my back as straight as I could and keeping my rear off of the seat of my pickup.  I told Pam that I have had enough, I was going to complete the jobs I had promised to do this spring and unload the tools from my pickup.   I have three windows to install in a home (they have been on order since January) then I'm hanging up my hammer.   I'll still do volunteer work for folks through our church and a pregnancy center has asked me to convert a motor home into a mobile sonogram unit--I'll probably just do enough to keep me limbered up.  Part of the problem is there seems to be a lack of workers to replace tradesmen.  Most of the guys I work with are either bald or gray headed. Many of the older folks I have worked for worry about finding someone who will do their piddly jobs.

Below is a banner Pam had made for my retirement party.  underneath the banner are some unneeded tools that are in her garage sale today. 

20230601_181307(1).jpg

• Heart 3

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, Beap52 said:

I've been trying to retire.  Last Oct my wife had a 70th birthday party/retirement party for me.  She had a big meal with smoked brisket, pulled pork--the works.  I think some 55 people dropped by.  I started in construction in 1971 right out of high school/trade school.  We did spend 17 of my prime years as missionaries and when we returned home I returned to restoring old homes and remodeling.  What caused me to begin seriously looking into retiring was fall at the beginning of this year.  My co-worker retired a couple of years ago and I've worked by my self or with help of the homeowner.  I was nailing a 2x4 to a ceiling, the nail gun shot two nails at once and the recoil knocked me off of the third step of a step ladder.  Falling backwards, i landed on the corner of a cement block just missing my backbone.  I literally had to drive home (fortunately a short drive) keeping my back as straight as I could and keeping my rear off of the seat of my pickup.  I told Pam that I have had enough, I was going to complete the jobs I had promised to do this spring and unload the tools from my pickup.   I have three windows to install in a home (they have been on order since January) then I'm hanging up my hammer.   I'll still do volunteer work for folks through our church and a pregnancy center has asked me to convert a motor home into a mobile sonogram unit--I'll probably just do enough to keep me limbered up.  Part of the problem is there seems to be a lack of workers to replace tradesmen.  Most of the guys I work with are either bald or gray headed. Many of the older folks I have worked for worry about finding someone who will do their piddly jobs.

Below is a banner Pam had made for my retirement party.  underneath the banner are some unneeded tools that are in her garage sale today. 

20230601_181307(1).jpg

For so many of us, this is one of the toughest decisions we’ll ever make. For others, a no-brainer!

Sad to hear that you had to “fall” into it so painfully but I’m hoping you’ll find enough fulfillment and enjoyment now that you’ve made your decision.

I am still doing “fix its” and other handy man stuff for several older folks while trying to find my “successor” before I have to stop.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Joined the Coast Guard right out of High School, 4 years later I was married and working in the office equipment field until 2007. Then home improvement until retirement in 2016. Best thing I ever did. Busier than I've ever been. 

• Like 2

WHX??
35 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Best thing I ever did. Busier than I've ever been. 

:text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell
17 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Hopefully I'll have more time to spend doing the things I like to do.

Don't wait...do it.           Congrats and thank you for your service.

T-Mo

Thanks, everyone for your responses and comments.

Day 2 of retirement.  I got up later than I would normally, but still got up at 3:50 am.  It might be a while before I can actually sleep in until the late hour of 5 am..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, T-Mo said:

Thanks, everyone for your responses and comments.

Day 2 of retirement.  I got up later than I would normally, but still got up at 3:50 am.  It might be a while before I can actually sleep in until the late hour of 5 am..........

Sounds like your adjustment is gonna take some time, you are way out of calibration.

RandyLittrell

Congratulations Terry!!! 

Even though I ended up on disability rather than retirement, you will wonder how you ever got things done while still working!!! 

Hopefully we can catch up again someday!! 

Randy

nylyon

Awesome Terry!  Congratulations, hoping to do the same one day (soon)

squonk

Congrats. I retired at the end of 2020 at 62. But this year my doctor bills started "cleaning me out" (no pun). I went to get blood drawn at the hospital I had worked at and just had to bust on the Maint super about a new roof that was put on a building that should have been leveled. He said don't leave and came up to see me about a problem they had in a suite. I still know where all the valves and switches are and what does what to what area there so we talked about coming back part time.

I work 12 hrs. a week and can work more or less, Can come and go as I please. I'm authorized to do what I need to do which includes spending a lot of cash to make things right. They pay me well so 1 check covers my medical expenses and the other covers my taxes and insurance on the house and truck. So that leaves SS for gas and playing and a couple of other bills. I turn 65 in Feb and then will go on Medicare so Hopefully that expense will go down. I'll work as long as it's fun.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

CCW

One piece of advice I received and adhered to was do not volunteer for anything for six to twelve months.  Give yourself time to figure out what is best for you.  It's too easy to volunteer and have all your time consumed.  I retired five years ago and today I volunteer for a few things (no committees for me) and give the rest of my time to my wife, the house and golf.  Latest volunteer project was going to Florida to rebuild homes from hurricane Ian.  They still need lots of help.

• Like 1

wh500special

Congratulations Terry!

Steve

Marv

Congratulations Terry.

I have been retired 23 years now. It has gone so fast I have to concentrate real hard to remember what I have done all the time. We did spend our 50th wedding anniversary at the  big show. Certainly involved with horses all this time and still am. I feed them a little gas and play when I want.

Marv

• Like 4

ohiofarmer
On 6/1/2023 at 7:57 AM, ri702bill said:

Ain't that the truth!! And in the fall look at their selection of "snowblowers" - HA - pressed tin and not a single grease fitting to be found!

Seriously - plan your time and stay busy. Corporate gave 272 of us the quick toss in 2019 - 8 months shy of when I wanted to retire.... They said we cost too much in the Boston area.

Bill

Their loss..Betcha if you mentioned age discrimination you could have changed their mind.  My wife gave it up and reported on the exact day that she needed to work by computer because of the c-19 lockdown.   All afternoon all she did was read her congrats well wishes, so easy day. Her last day qualified her for profit sharing so long as she did as asked

CasualObserver

Congrats Terry! :thumbs:

Mickwhitt

Congratulations!   I retired formally 7 years ago. I'm.planning on giving retirement a go at some point but I've never been busier.

When i retired they told me you'll wonder how you had time to go to work, it's not a cliché,  it's true. How did I fit work in?

Enjoy the time you have, the last part of the day is often the best. 

• Like 2