Skintraditions

Points melting

Skintraditions

UPDATE IT WAS THE COIL GUYS THANKS FOR THE INPUT

Hey guys needing some help again , I gotta c-160 when I received it it was missing all the electronics ,I ordered points coil and condenser ,well after wiring it up before I put a switch on it I wanted to see if it would fire off with just the battery  well I've melted 2 sets of points .  I do not have a switch wired yet I was  using a battery and hooking everything up other than the ignition wire with i have a gator clip on it so it's just straight wired while I'm testing for spark but I've checked and double checked the wiring from the points  to the coil and the condenser to the coil but as soon as I hook up the straight wired to the battery and jump the  solenoid it starts smoking, now with that said I did not replace the coil because i had a old one and didnt want tonwait on the coil to come in , could the coil cause that  ? Or do I need the key switch to test .I wouldn't think so as my Troy built work horse  tiller  I just jump it off cause it need wired up for a switch  and a batter too .

Here's my wiring layout ...points to coil on the  negative side  and so is the condenser  and the positive side of the coil I have a wire with a clamp on the other end for the positive side of the battery  . Any idea where to look  ?

Edited by Skintraditions
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

The Kohler coils have an internal resistor. Wonder if the coil you are using does not have one.

• Like 7

Achto
7 hours ago, Skintraditions said:

Any idea where to look  ?

Are your points opening & closing when the engine turns over? If they are not opening they will eventually burn together and/or over heat the coil. If they start smoking as soon as you hook up the power wire, then I would expect a bad coil. Like stated above, make sure that you have the correct style of coil. It needs to have an internal resistor.

• Like 5

Pullstart

:text-yeahthat: Reading the title I thought “wrong style coil” 

• Like 2

ranger
55 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

:text-yeahthat: Reading the title I thought “wrong style coil” 

Same here. I had the same issue with a car my wife had, kept burning points out every couple of months. It was only used for around 15 miles a day. It turned out to have an electronic ignition type coil fitted, (same size and shape, but very low resistance). Changed the coil, everything was then okay!

• Like 3

JoeM

I was working on a Cub 1210 with a WH 12HP transplanted Kohler. 

Left the key on one night and found the points melted and the coil destroyed.

If the engine is not running, the direct wire + circuit must be opened to prevent heating the ignition system.

Just my experience.  

648219603_Ruinedcoilleftkeyon1.jpg.9c6e1e7479a2953e19034f342fa2bd78.jpg33938447_Ruinedcoilleftkeyon2.jpg.1718aa51e8e0183b6aa344a8b1ba5639.jpg

37145451_coilwiringcutaway2.jpg.420839e36ed93d3fa7f6b95cc0031246.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

pacer

While on this topic ..... Is there a way to ...determine? it a coil has an internal resistor or not?? 

Like the poster @Skintraditions I usually have 3-4 coils laying around with unknown type internals.

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, pacer said:

While on this topic ..... Is there a way to ...determine? it a coil has an internal resistor or not?? 

Like the poster @Skintraditions I usually have 3-4 coils laying around with unknown type internals.

@953 nut?

I’m sure you have a resistance valuetucked away somewhere?

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:    @Skintraditions

As others have said it could be the points are not opening or it could be the wrong ignition coil.If you are unfamiliar with gapping a set of points I save Tractors has some youTube videos worth watching. 

@Save Old Iron posted some drawings to help you determine if your coil is correct.

1701033816_SOICoilPrimary.gif.4f837b55026f11c25f01e63fea02a9e3.gif190550656_SOICoilSecondary.gif.2d945bbe03ffd3a4c875217272dd4f9b.gif

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

A short will smoke the points immediately. 

• Like 3

Skintraditions
On 5/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, Pullstart said:

@953 nut?

I’m sure you have a resistance valuetucked away somewhere?

Thanks it was the coil I replaced it and works fine 

• Like 2

Skintraditions
On 5/31/2023 at 6:37 AM, Achto said:

Are your points opening & closing when the engine turns over? If they are not opening they will eventually burn together and/or over heat the coil. If they start smoking as soon as you hook up the power wire, then I would expect a bad coil. Like stated above, make sure that you have the correct style of coil. It needs to have an internal resistor.

Thanks after testing the coil found it was bad 

• Like 2

Pullstart

@Skintraditions it’s really great that you followed up with the end result.  :eusa-clap:  thanks!

• Like 1