Racinbob

Tecky Gurus

Racinbob

Last summer our son in law picked up a go kart that wasn't running right with ideas of fixing it up for the grandkids. The guy he got it from said it probably would be best to just get another engine for it rather than mess with the one that was on there. He bought a DuroMax engine, disassembled everything and that's as far as he got. It was never even mentioned to me until a couple of weeks ago when our grandson asked me if maybe I could get the go kart going. Well, you know the answer to that. The DuroMax was an electric start and a no go physically without cannibalizing it. I decided to get a Predator 212 and it is a great fit. It didn't take long before I realized why these engines are so popular. The drive was a basket case Comet Industries clutch and variable torque unit which I discovered is very popular in the go kart/mini bike world. I had never had my hands on one before so it was a learning process that I found interesting. Things are all back together now and I'm just waiting on a new drive belt which should get here today.

OK, all that and I didn't get to the point. I'll be hauling the kart and the no longer returnable DuroMax back to their place and I'll have this Tecky engine sitting here. Something tells me I shouldn't just toss it out. Maybe a carb rebuild is all it needs. Maybe not. The shaft is fine for a Wheel Horse and there looks to be a 12v output even though it's a recoil start. I believe it was for the lights only. Here's the tag on it.

1384969552_TeckyEngine.jpg.26059478645136aa299054734daf1b4f.jpg

Anybody interested in seeing if it can be saved?

• Like 2

oliver2-44

@Racinbob, like your handle, we know you want to put the pedal to the medal on that cart!  Of course we need a video of that.  You've got to shake it down before its returned to the grandkids!  

Regarding that Tecumseh, I would love to see you go through it. I have an older H60 I need to get running, been avoiding it since its not a Kohler.  I need all the Tecky inspiration I can get 

• Like 1

Racinbob
2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@Racinbob, like your handle, we know you want to put the pedal to the medal on that cart!  Of course we need a video of that.  You've got to shake it down before its returned to the grandkids!  

Regarding that Tecumseh, I would love to see you go through it. I have an older H60 I need to get running, been avoiding it since its not a Kohler.  I need all the Tecky inspiration I can get 

Usually I'd say you're 100% right and I did attempt i just a short time ago. I was going to get on the road and clock it with GPS but before I even got to the end of the drive at partial throttle I backed off and turned around. This thing is scary dangerous. Not because of the speed but because of the steering. It goes far beyond horrible. :auto-crash: We loaded it on the trailer to take it back but most likely the boys won't be driving it. It's so bad that theres no doubt in my mind that they would get hurt.:auto-ambulance:  I'm already looking into steering kits but that's yet another learning process for me. 

1707385007_GoKartSteering.jpg.034d7c3f34869e6fd5d83a639e7af730.jpg

As far as the Tecky goes I was hoping to get it in somebody else's garage that wanted to tinker with it. I know nothing about them and really don't care to learn. :D

• Like 2

squonk

You know how I feel about Teckys. Clean it up and make garage art out of it. Or put an elbow on the exhaust and point it straight up. Then put flowers in it and set it by your entrance door.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Bob, are you heading to the Big Show?  I have a great running H60 that finds itself venting lots of oil once it’s hot.  It could become a parts donor to yours if it proves to be any tighter on the tolerances…

• Like 2

Racinbob

No Big Show this year Kevin. Know anybody that will be heading to the show via US 30 through Indiana? If we could time it right I don't have a problem meeting them at the SR 35 or SR 39 interchanges so they could get it to the show. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Handy Don

The OHH60 is the overhead valve version of the HH60 (6hp). These had adjustable valves, cast iron sleeves, and ball bearings at the PTO end of the crank. Pretty solid.

Yes, Tecumseh put a 3 amp stator in these since a common target market was something with lights, like a snowblower.

Yes, the carbs can be finicky, especially if neglected and left with fuel in them to evaporate and gum up. Personally, I hate to abandon engines so I’d at least give the carb a good soak or dunk in the ultrasonic tank, if you have one. The rebuild kits are cheap and a complete aftermarket carb isn’t a lot more.

One of these would be a reasonable replacement on a 604 or a ’64-68 Lawn Ranger worker or a mini-bike on go-kart.

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

Great info Don. Thanks! :)9

RED-Z06

I keep a row of H50s, H60s, HH60s in my shed...

But those OHV engines...nah, only engine ive ever seen break a rod just idling, no knocks, had oil, blipped the throttle and she idled...Clank.  no scoring, just broke 

Handy Don
On 5/30/2023 at 10:22 PM, RED-Z06 said:

I keep a row of H50s, H60s, HH60s in my shed...

But those OHV engines...nah, only engine ive ever seen break a rod just idling, no knocks, had oil, blipped the throttle and she idled...Clank.  no scoring, just broke 

I can understand this. Wondering about how it had be run before you had it. Over-reved at some point or even a manufacturing defect in the rod? Did you get to tear it down to find out?

RED-Z06
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I can understand this. Wondering about how it had be run before you had it. Over-reved at some point or even a manufacturing defect in the rod? Did you get to tear it down to find out?

It was on a gokart but the governor was intact, it was 2 years old, in for a new convertor belt, oil change, filter...i was going to warn it up to change the oil...planned to ride it a few minutes, cranked it...walked away, came back and manually whacked the throttle to make sure it wasn't going to stall after i crawled in and gave it throttle...about 5-7 seconds later..clank.   no scoring, rod broke high.  The rods on these are ridiculously small and thin.

• Thanks 1