bc.gold

Bank Run on Mower Tubes

bc.gold

Phoned a tire shop last week that is an hour's drive from my home town, counterman at the time told me they had the size I needed on stock, since I was expecting parts ordered from NAPA to be in store today, needed to make the trip.

Parts were in at NAPA, went across the street to the tire shop only to find the tubes I expected to purchase had been sold, the whole inventory sold in less than a week. Off to the John Deere dealer, same story, finally went to a equipment rental and purchased the last two they had. The clerk told me that this year was a record for mower tube sales.

Back at the truck mentioned this to Pat, I was curious and couldn't figure out why the run on tubes, she replied, must be that no one is buying new mowers.

Exactly, she nailed it. I'm currently working on a pair of older mowers and each have tires that leak.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, bc.gold said:

Back at the truck mentioned this to Pat, I was curious and couldn't figure out why the run on tubes, she replied, must be that no one is buying new mowers

I can see the logic in that but around here the cheap temporary machines are moving fine. 

I'd also theorize that tubes may be selling because they just don't last as long. Old stock North American made tubes would last decades unless severely damaged. 

The newer cheap thin disposable ones just don't have the usable lifespan.  

• Like 3

ri702bill
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The newer cheap thin disposable ones just don't have the usable lifespan.  

And, as I have said before - inflate a new tube to 5 PSI and let it sit for about three days, check it. If it stayed inflated, use it. If not, deflate it and box it up for a refund. I have had a few that deflated before the 3 days.....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 7