dotcomdz

B-81 question

dotcomdz

I have one and it runs if I start with a drill but electrical is messed up or frozen starter.

My question is I have a 12.5hp 1998 steel sleeve commercial briggs that runs great. Is it possible to swap such a large motor, has anyone done that and is it over kill?

20230516_085227.jpg

20230516_085214.jpg

rmaynard

Why don't you remove the starter and see if you can fix it? Might be easier to fix or replace the starter than to retrofit an entire engine.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

It will take far less time to troubleshoot and correct the problr=em than to swap an engine.

Why won’t my starter turn over from the key switch?\

Lets take a logical step by step inspection of your starter problem.

Is your PTO in the ON position, a wheel horse will not start with the PTO on.

Have you had the battery load tested at an auto parts store?

Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds?

Are all fuses good and fuse holders cleaned?

If these have all been done, we can check components of the starting system as follows; don’t skip a step or you may miss the problem.

Be sure the transmission is in neutral and the parking brake is set.

Take a pair of automotive jumper cables and connect the black cable to your battery  "-" and a good clean spot on the engine. Now connect the other cable to the large post on the starter and touch the other end to the battery "+" terminal, does the starter turn over? If the starter turns over the battery and starter are good. If it didn't turn over try the same steps with the battery in your car/truck, if that cures the problem then the "good" battery wasn't so good.

Presuming the starter turned over move the jumper wire from the starter post to the other end of the wire going to the starter which is one of the large posts on the solenoid. If the starter turns over when the battery is touched by the jumper as before then that cable is good, if not you have found your problem.

Presuming the starter turned over move that jumper to the other terminal of the solenoid, connect the other end to the battery and use a small piece of wire to temporarily connect the battery "+" terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid, this should cause the solenoid to close and the starter to turn over. If not, the solenoid is probably the problem.

If this was successful remove the large jumper cable and use the small jumper wire to the small terminal of the solenoid, the solenoid should close and the starter turn over. If not the cable to the battery is the problem.

Presuming all of these have been successful remove the black jumper wire and repeat the small jumper to small terminal, if the starter turns over the ground is good.

If all of these components test good then remove your ignition switch, be sure the transmission is in neutral, parking brake on, clutch depressed and PTO off. Use a small jumper to connect the terminals that were connected to the “B” and “S” terminals of the ignition switch. If the starter turns over then the PTO switch and other safety switches are operating properly and your ignition switch may be bad

• Like 2

dotcomdz

Main reason is I know the 12.5hp is a beast good well maintained engine. I was thinking of the swap to then give it to my younger cousin. 

I know nothing of this engine other than it runs, probably a massive amount of hours, probably will need carb work etc....

I mean I know I can just go buy a starter or maybe even clean the whole system up. I don't want to do that so that's why I was asking thoughts on possibilities other wise I'm just going to sell it like it is put the 12.5 on another GT I have

Edited by dotcomdz

953 nut
10 hours ago, dotcomdz said:

I was asking thoughts on possibilities

No problem, your :wh:, your choice on what to do withit,         :handgestures-thumbupright:          Since your B-80 is equipped with a B&S already there should be a great deal of similarity between your two engines. First thing to look at is the crankshaft where the pullies mount, If that is the sane then in all likelihood the engine swap won't bee too challenging at all. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1