hotajax

Old Guys Only - Cam Lube For Ignition Points

hotajax

When I was a kid putting points in my old Beetle, I used a special grease for the rubbing block on the points.  Flash forward 50 years.  What is available to do this these days?  Synthetic bearing grease?  Dilectric grease?  Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

ri702bill

@squonk, our resident "NAPA-TEER" may be able to steer you towards a supply of Echlin Point Cam Grease - it's like a Twinkie! - lasts forever!! I still have mine from the 1970's!!

I so do NOT miss dealing every 5000 mile with auto ignition points closing up.... or losing the little mounting screw!!! :auto-driving:

• Like 4

squonk
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

@squonk, our resident "NAPA-TEER" may be able to steer you towards a supply of Echlin Point Cam Grease - it's like a Twinkie! - lasts forever!! I still have mine from the 1970's!!

I so do NOT miss dealing every 5000 mile with auto ignition points closing up.... or losing the little mounting screw!!! :auto-driving:

This is what Echlin sells now.

Distributor cam grease (42,5g) | Grease 240/260 - Wax / Glue /

I still have my Tube of grease from 1975 when I was known as " Mr. Delco" :banana-wrench:

IMG_20230526_160117871.jpg.aaf00c1670eb6c83b568994e9123ec39.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 5
  • Heart 3

lynnmor

If you Google Lubricam you can find the proper grease, but the price is high.  You can try Summit or Jegs to see if you can find better pricing.

• Like 2

hotajax

I got some Red 'n Tacky from Lucas.  Supposed to be good to 550 degrees F.  If the motor craps out, I'll know why.

• Like 3

ri702bill

Do NOT store this in the medicine cabinet next to the Preparation H !!!!! :eusa-dance:

Distributor cam grease (42,5g) | Grease 240/260 - Wax / Glue /

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

pfrederi

What happened to the little capsule of grease that came with new points...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Wild Bill 633

You are right, only old guys know what cam lube is. FYI, I store mine next to the bed. That way I always know where it is. And I am told when you get really old it is like pushing a marshmallow thru a button hole. LOL!

• Haha 5

hotajax
45 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

What happened to the little capsule of grease that came with new points...

Fredi:  Last two times I put in points, no grease capsule in the box.  I went to my neighbor, an old gent who had a tube of this stuff, so that was cool.  But he has passed on, and is now spending all his time drinking good bourbon and watching seventh games of the National Hockey League finals.  Times have changed. 

• Like 1

hotajax
36 minutes ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

You are right, only old guys know what cam lube is. FYI, I store mine next to the bed. That way I always know where it is. And I am told when you get really old it is like pushing a marshmallow thru a button hole. LOL!

Good thing you keep it by your bed.  You never know if the local cheerleaders stop by some night after the basketball game.:):P

• Haha 3

squonk

Still remember replacing the deteriorated lube  wicks on the Delco distributors.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Still remember replacing the deteriorated lube  wicks on the Delco distributors.

Me too. We gettin' old, Mike. I still have my Sun timing light, dwell meter, and vacuum gauge. All in the red plastic carry case. And have occasion to use it from time to time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hotajax
1 hour ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Me too. We gettin' old, Mike. I still have my Sun timing light, dwell meter, and vacuum gauge. All in the red plastic carry case. And have occasion to use it from time to time. 

Sun Timing Light.  Now that's an oldie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I got a cheapie Sun knock off timing light. Polished chrome. Also have a 45 deg . cable operated 1/4" Dr. dwell adjuster tool. And of course a vacuum gauge. 

• Like 2

953 nut

Only thing I have with ignition points now is Koehlers and the little push rod that opens the points is splash lubricated. If I did have a need for points lube I would use a small drop of Lucas Assembly lube, that stuff is slick and Greasy Pete Approved.

• Like 1

squonk

Distributor/ carb adjusting tool from Snap On. The slotted screwdriver sockets are long gone. Shown with the 1/8" Delco points adjuster bit along with a 3MM hex bit for those pesky Chrysler 2.2 Holley/Weber mixture screws. This tool also was handy with a 7/16" socket when old Mrs. Hubbs sawed off her side view mirror on her 68 Olds 98! :banana-wrench:

ct.jpg.d5c8f258616f0b38239f9b44a1b4ff12.jpg

Dwell meter is long gone. It was a good one that would balance cylinders. Last time I was using it I was setting the idle-air mixture on GM Computer Command electronic carbs.

MAC TOOL CYLINDER Balance Analyzer Tach Tachometer Dwell ET 985 $68.00 -  PicClick

Last auto shop I was in we had one of these that actually talked to you! :lol:

Garage Classic: Sun Performance Analyzer 1115–The Most Fun under the Sun |  Curbside Classic

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Did you listen to what it said ?

• Haha 1

squonk
19 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Did you listen to what it said ?

Yes. It said "This Elcamino is too rusty and cranky to fix!" " And it's engine is leaking everywhere! " :hilarious:

• Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is the reason it went to a new owner. Couldn't get any help from Sir skunky.

• Haha 1

Sailman

Thanks a lot! Y'all just reminded me how old I am.....:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, Sailman said:

Thanks a lot! Y'all just reminded me how old I am.....:laughing-rolling:

You aren't the only one.

• Heart 1

hotajax

What type of grease is packed in the bearings?  Clear greenish / Blue.  Is that a high temp grease?  Thanks

Wheel-N-It

Maybe we should start a new thread of ;

Show us your vintage mechanic tools

Here is some of my old school test equipment

Tool.jpg

Tool_2.jpg

Tool_3.jpg

• Excellent 2