chev0545

520 carb

chev0545

is there a adj.screw on the 520 carb it's a 96

thanks

Edited by chev0545
  • Like 1

SPINJIM

Yes, but it's very difficult to get to.   It's hidden behind the muffler bracket.  Some of the brackets have a hole drilled in the middle so that you can put a screwdriver through to reach it.  I had to drill a hole in mine.  Either way, you have a good chance of burning your knuckles on the muffler while you're doing it.  good luck.

Jim

• Like 3

lynnmor

Harbor Freight has some real long screwdrivers.

• Like 3

chev0545
On 5/26/2023 at 1:26 PM, SPINJIM said:

Yes, but it's very difficult to get to.   It's hidden behind the muffler bracket.  Some of the brackets have a hole drilled in the middle so that you can put a screwdriver through to reach it.  I had to drill a hole in mine.  Either way, you have a good chance of burning your knuckles on the muffler while you're doing it.  good luck.

Jim

the 96 doesn't have one just the idle screw.thinkin they just on the earlier 520's

lynnmor
8 minutes ago, chev0545 said:

the 96 doesn't have one just the idle screw.thinkin they just on the earlier 520's

I think it was in 1996 that the idle mixture screw was sealed, it may have been a mid year change when they went to the accelerator pump carburetor.  You may find a welch plug where the screw used to be and it can be knocked out revealing the adjustment screw.  There are 2 plugs on the muffler side, a larger one above a smaller one, the screw should be behind the smaller one.  Knocking out both of them allows  complete cleaning of the carburetor, just be sure to have spares on hand for the larger one.  The official service procedure for problems with these carburetors was to replace the complete unit.

• Sad 1

chev0545
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I think it was in 1996 that the idle mixture screw was sealed, it may have been a mid year change when they went to the accelerator pump carburetor.  You may find a welch plug where the screw used to be and it can be knocked out revealing the adjustment screw.  There are 2 plugs on the muffler side, a larger one above a smaller one, the screw should be behind the smaller one.  Knocking out both of them allows  complete cleaning of the carburetor, just be sure to have spares on hand for the larger one.  The official service procedure for problems with these carburetors was to replace the complete unit.

never knew that.thanks for the info.it doesn't run bad just a little rough maybe i'll leave it be.