417tractorpuller

C-160 Running Vredstein V61

417tractorpuller

Hello everyone.  First time poster here...  Currently building a C-160 for my youngest son to pull and am considering front wheel/tire combos.  Does anyone have a photo of 16x6.50-8 Vredstein V61's mounted up on a factory C-160 front wheel they are willing to share?  They recommend a 5.38" wide rim, and not sure if mine are that wide.  The turf tires on the original wheels seem to be squeezed in more than I'd like a tire to be.  Also, does anyone know the factory rim width for the C-160, I haven't dismounted the tires on mine to measure (I would guess 4.5-5")?  I know the spindles are around 4" long or a touch over, as I tried wider set of wheels on the front with about a 3" hub length, but was going to have to make a bushing/spacer to take up the room.  I decided not to go that route, and haven't been able to find a 5.38-7" wide rim that also has a wide enough hub for the 160's spindles.  I attached a picture of the factory wheel and tire as well as a picture of the tractor with the white wheels that would need spacers so you could see what I am dealing with.  Thanks!!    

C-160 1.jpg

C-160 Original Wheel.jpg

Edited by 417tractorpuller
Autocorrect changed a word on my post I didn't notice
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
21 hours ago, 417tractorpuller said:

(I would guess 4.5-5")?

I'd say that's about right.  

And. 

21 hours ago, 417tractorpuller said:

Hello everyone.  First time poster here

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I don't have any vredesteins to offer pics of but on the rim width... The later 70s/early 80s had a wider rim.  

You might search out a pair of those and check the width?

Feel free to share more about the machine too. 

We have a "Pulling Section".  

We don't use any of ours in competitive pulling but the idea and tractors are interesting.  

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Most pullers run a 6” wheel and smaller tire, to keep the nose down.  Though the Vredesteins would look awesome they may not be your best option…

• Like 2

417tractorpuller

Thanks for the replies. I know a lot of pullers run a smaller tire, I however don't. I run a heavy front bracket and like the ability to go through a low spot without plowing the bracket in the dirt. I know the WH will require a lot more front end weight compared to a cub due to the lighter sheet metal and frame. The heavy bracket will support that without bending too. Has anyone here shortened the spindle length and redrilled the bolt hole with success?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, 417tractorpuller said:

Has anyone here shortened the spindle length and redrilled the bolt hole with success?

I've put thought to that in the past and decided to place a spacer behind the wheel instead. 

I like the front track width as wide as possible for our forest work.  

Better stability.  

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

I'm just thinking about how much fun I'd have mowing with that C-160 :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mike in NC

I do not have any 16/6.50-8's but have 15/5.50-6 V-61's on a 312-H. I really like them and will put them on more of my wide tire garden tractors. He is a picture of the 312-H.

IMG_5141a.jpg.74945366894f9f45b239c940658a0bdb.jpgIMG_5142a.jpg.dfeff8b13cfcf453b79ff5738083f4ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

417tractorpuller

Mike, those look great on your 312!  I like the ribbed tires myself, makes them look more like a tractor and less like a lawnmower in my opinion.  I don't know if the 4.00x8 tri rib would be stretched too much on the factory wheel, or if the V61's would be too squeezed in.  I spent the weekend building a hitch, belly bracket, and extendable front weight bracket.  I haven't got the tires off my factory front wheels yet.  I will try to work that in the schedule this week and make a more informed decision before spending money on powder coating and tires.  Thanks for the feedback!  Great group we have going here!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 417tractorpuller said:

4.00x8 tri rib would be stretched too much on the factory wheel

Those do have a tad bit of a bulbous appearance on a mid 70s wheel. 

They do however look great on earlier narrower wheels.

• Like 1

8ntruck

Here is a side on shot of V61's on my C-195.  The front wheels are stock.  I think the wheels are the same size as on a C-160.

20230527_184714.jpg.f47aea18b0b249cf954ad2c0fb4ac61e.jpg

I've got a shot more from the front somewhere.  I'll add it here when/if I find it.

• Excellent 2

Mike in NC
6 hours ago, 417tractorpuller said:

Mike, those look great on your 312!  I like the ribbed tires myself, makes them look more like a tractor and less like a lawnmower in my opinion.  I don't know if the 4.00x8 tri rib would be stretched too much on the factory wheel, or if the V61's would be too squeezed in.  I spent the weekend building a hitch, belly bracket, and extendable front weight bracket.  I haven't got the tires off my factory front wheels yet.  I will try to work that in the schedule this week and make a more informed decision before spending money on powder coating and tires.  Thanks for the feedback!  Great group we have going here!!

Thank you! I have seen the V-61's on stock sized wheels for the 16/6.50-8 and they looked good. That is what I will be putting on a couple of my other garden tractors. I put ag's on the front of my Bronco 14. I put the V-61's and ags on the 312 when the original tires cracked too much. Both front and rear tores on both the Bronco and the 312 are fluid filled. I live in the mountains and that little extra weight makes a difference. When I changed the front tires on teh Bronco, I did not fluid fill them, and it did not steer the same as before, and before it had regular tuff tires. So I fille dthem and it steers great. The V-61's go great also. 

• Like 1

417tractorpuller

The front rims on our C-160 measure 3.75 width if anyone else needs to know. I ordered the Vredsteins yesterday, but may wish I put the 4.00-8 tri ribs on. Lol

20230531_185817.jpg

• Like 1

417tractorpuller

20230603_095430.jpg

20230603_095450.jpg

• Heart 2