Pullstart

Looks great!  Good idea on the round hood ornament solution of earth magnets!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ri702bill

Rob - looks good - are you planning a 6 or 8 speed swap on that one?? I did the 8 speed, @Handy Don and @Pullstart did the 6 speed - NO regrets...

Pullstart

I did 8 speed on my 502 :handgestures-thumbupright:

Rob J.
9 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Rob - looks good - are you planning a 6 or 8 speed swap on that one?? I did the 8 speed, @Handy Don and @Pullstart did the 6 speed - NO regrets...

I’m planning on using the original trans for now. It seems to be in good working order. Replace the outer seals and run it. Trying to keep this thing mostly original looking except a few small details I’ll reveal later. 😉

• Like 2

Handy Don
53 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

No regrets here but I wasn’t aiming for original either.

The low range is quite handy for trailer loading/unloading and maneuvering. In a perfect world, I’d enjoy having a a gear between 2nd and 3d--that’d be the most efficient for my 36” mower deck--2nd does well but it’s a bit pokey and 3rd is just a bit too fast for a quality cut (and control at the corners :lol:). I’ve thought of tweaking the drive pulleys but haven’t pulled the trigger on that. The transaxle pulley is uncommon and smaller one (3.5”?) might be hard to come by. It has a very narrow hub and it’s setscrew is in the “groove”. The K181 is pretty narrow so the driveline is very close in--clearance between the transaxle body and pulley is less than ¼ inch.

I traded in the 3-speed when I got the 6-speed at AtoZ (for peace of mind, I paid their very fair price to open and check out the transaxle and redo the seals and gasket). The only mod to my tractor to accommodate it was the extra hole in the bottom of the tunnel for the hi-low shifter. (I’d already repaired/reinforced the F-plate).

A couple days ago i drove up a steep-ish pitch of rain-softened soil and had both rear tires leave dig marks but keep on pushing. LSD does help!

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Niiiiice.  

I'll be looking forward to seeing this one develop!!