Kelly

Nice suprise

Kelly

I bought 2 sets of 8.5 wide rims from a 520 and a workhorse 1800 this weekend, and tonight I was looking at how clean rust wise one set was well I should say no rust, then I saw a scrape in the paint and it was shiny under it so I grabed a rag and some thinner and cleaned the paint off, mind you it took a hour to clean what you see trying not to scratch the chrome yes I said chrome, they look to have been painted when new primed and painted silver :thumbs: I think these are 420LSE wheels, now if I had the fronts :thumbs2: I ask the seller if they have them.

I guess buy enough junk you get a prize now and then.

100_2185.jpg

• Like 6

nylyon

You sure have luck with those. Who would have painted a chrome rim anyway?

C-Series14

Kelly...........r u kiddin' me!!! :thumbs:

As far as why would someone paint them...I have seen more stupid, idiotic things done by people in the last 10 years that NOTHING fazes me anymore.... :thumbs2:

Sparky

WOW! Nice score. First its the ultra rare white-walls and now a set of chromies :thumbs2: .

Congrats...Mike...........

MikesRJ

Try a little break fluid on the painted areas. Works like a champ at loosening spray paint. Leave it on an hour or so in the sun.

WheelHorse_of_course

Nice

Amazing what you can do with elbow grease.

See if you can wipe them again and have them turn to gold!!! :thumbs2:

:thumbs:

jusjeepn

I heard rumors about them doing that! Just never heard about anyone finding some! I seriously doubt you'll ever find any fronts since they were a hub mounted design. Nice score! I think if you fell in pig poop you'd come out smelling april fresh! Congrats! :thumbs: :thumbs2:

Raider12

WOW! What a find. I love the hunt for the rare and cool parts as much as I do owning the tractors. Nice find Kelly :thumbs2:

DMESS

Kelly, I've been told that many 418-C tractors had chrome rear rims hiding under the silver paint. Seems possible since WH had a notorious habit of using up any remaining parts inventory wherever it could be utilized. Quite convenient that the LSE and 418-C both used the 8.5 rims. The next machine to do so would be the 1988 520-HC. It's highly likely that your rims came of a 418-C and were painted right from the factory! Seems you just proved the story to be true. Pretty neat. :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Great score. :thumbs: Stepping in the stuff again I see. :thumbs2:

canam1991

That makes me want to go see whats under my wheels

• Like 1

nylyon

We'll have to remember this post, when in a couple of years someone will ask "Why are all the 418C rims scratched" :thumbs2:

Kelly

Well these came off a 520-HC not sure on the year.

• Like 1

linen beige

Try a little break fluid on the painted areas. Works like a champ at loosening spray paint. Leave it on an hour or so in the sun.

If you do use brake fluid make SURE you get it all off. It's corrosive.

TJ

Great find. :thumbs2:

DMESS

Well these came off a 520-HC not sure on the year.

Had to be an '88 or '89. They were only produced these two years. That actually makes it more interesting as the HCs were obviously produced after the run of 418-Cs in 1987. Thinking about it the 418-Cs were built in 5 different runs from October '86 till May of '87. I'm betting this falls over part of or right at the end of the LSE production run. I'll bet money late production 418-Cs and from what you have discovered early production 520-HCs are where these "camouflage chromes" can most likely be found.

Naturally the 418 Commercial that I have has good ol' rusty painted wheels. <_<

BTK07

I can just picture :thumbs2: everyone running out and grabing their brake fluid and a rag and putting a dab of fluid on each one and then going back to the first one and rubbing the heck out of it. :thumbs: Nice find. I'm going to my horse barn now. LOL

plowmaster

are you going to whitewall those rims?

come on, you GOTTA!

DMESS

I don't even know why I'm addressing this, BUT.....this is only going to be a possibility with rims found on two models. Please don't start scraping the paint off of every WH you own in search of chrome. If you happen to have a set of 8.5 wide rims from a C or HC then by all means scratch, scrape, sand, rub and thinner yourself silly! :thumbs:

Hell, I wonder how many chrome draw bars, deck wheels and belt tensioners were painted red? 80 individual pieces of chrome on an LSE if I recall.......I could keep you kids entertained for hours scraping and scratching. :thumbs2:

• Like 1

nylyon

The great WH scratch and win game!

Kelly

Scratch and win, I got the first prize :thumbs: as for mounting the white walls no, the rims are to wide and the tires are dry rotted at least one set is and I don't want to ruin them mounting and dismounting them, I know where there is a I thought 417C but it might be a 418C setting with a bad hydro, and wrong motor I might have to stop by that guys house to see if it has chrome, but it has cast iron (simplicity) wheel weights on it, probably scratching the rims. still have to look :thumbs2:

I'm going to use thinner, to clean them, brake fluid if it gets in where they are welded together may start rusting, I thought about zip strip used it to strip fenders and hoods works great.

Duff

I thought about zip strip used it to strip fenders and hoods works great.

Same here and loved it. Also water-soluble, so clean up was a breeze!

Duff :thumbs2:

WheelHorse_of_course

Zip strip. I haven't used that fr many years, but the stuff works well.

I spent several summers stripping stuff. I did turn down the job to strip and refinish the wood dashboard of a Mercedes!

:thumbs2:

perry

nice find :thumbs2:

Rollerman

The great WH scratch and win game!

I just checked all mine.....just more rust. :thumbs2: