Sign in to follow this  
TT

Lawn Ranger Automatic.....

TT

I was just looking through some of my photos and when I got to the L-106 I used to have, it made me think about the guys who bought it.

I had it listed on ebay, and when it sold the buyer contacted me by phone for directions from somewhere in Ohio. :thumbs:

He said a friend of his had a 1966 or 1967 Lawn Ranger and they had converted it to a Sundstrand automatic transaxle so he could use it to drive around at shows and swap meets. Turned out the "friend" was about 82 years "young" and didn't have much strength in his legs, so the clutch/brake operation was no longer an option. They already had the Lawn Ranger and, with the help of a few other guys, converted it to automatic so the "old feller" could cruise around with the rest of them. Unfortunately, the shed he kept the Lawn Ranger in caught fire and was destroyed. The metal shed roof collapsed on the little tractor and damaged it beyond repair. The "custom" parts they had made for the conversion were still salvageable, but they needed a good Lawn Ranger to convert again.

I lost contact information with them, so I never did get to see the finished product. I thought by mentioning this here that someone from Ohio may have seen it at a show, or perhaps someone has seen another one that has been converted. Maybe this will even inspire someone to build one of their own ????? :P

I myself am now wondering what a 773 or an 874 would look like. :thumbs: I bet it could be done! :D

BPjunk

Terry,

Some where a few years back I saw a peice of literature showing a round hood 1964 model with a hydrostaic transmission. It was owned by somebody who used to work for Wheel Horse and this tractor was built in 1964.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

T-Mo

Terry,

That's a good story and a case of not only ingenuity, but where "necessity is the mother of invention". Hmm, a 773, hmm. I still have that 753 in Arkansas... :thumbs:

CasualObserver

I'd imagine there are/were an expiremental model or two before the debut of the 875 Wheel-A-Matic. Have to find some old factory engineer to get the truth!

combatmp29r

Terry you remember what part of Ohio?

kpinnc

I myself am now wondering what a 773 or an 874 would look like. I bet it could be done!

Sounds very interesting Terry.

Kevin

TT

Terry you remember what part of Ohio?

I think it took them about 5 or 6 hours to get here and I believe they came in across I-70 to PA. (They weren't driving real fast either.) I keep thinking it was somewhere close to you -- like maybe around Circleville or out towards Washington Court House. :thumbs:

It was June of 2006 when they came after it and I can't remember much, other than the younger of the two (he was probably 63 to 66) said they had a lot of Wheel Horses. :thumbs:

Buzz

I keep thinking it was somewhere close to you -- like maybe around Circleville or out towards Washington Court House. :thumbs:

It was June of 2006 when they came after it and I can't remember much, other than the younger of the two (he was probably 63 to 66) said they had a lot of Wheel Horses. :thumbs:

If it was around Washington CH Mike (hiredguns) probably knows them. Maybe when he checks in...............

C-Series14

Don't know of anybody around here. There are folks who have WH's I am sure but I don't see many in this area...I am the only "nut" that I know of! :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Hey Greg what about the guy out behind the hospital and Kenworth here in Chili? I've been out there a couple times since you told me about him, but no one ever around. How old was he? Bunch of horses there for sure.