Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

picked up a c-85

dgjks6

Yesterday was probably one of the most fun days of my life. I bought a non running c-85 (listed as motor free but no compression) with a 38 inch deck and a snow blower. I paid $300 and it was a 2 hour drive. My wife would not let any of the kids go with me, so I left for Toledo at 7am and was back by 11:30. Bought it from a young kid who purchased it at a garage sale for $175 and resold on ebay. He removed the spark plug and said there was no compression.

So I got home and unloaded the purchase. Turns out the deck is a 36 in rear discharge that is almost new. Has a Toro badge and no rust at all. Probably only used a few times before the tractor went. First thing I did was attach it to my 312 after greasing the spindles and mowed. Blades need sharpened but it was the first time this year I got to mow with the horse.

DSCF2944.jpg

Then my brother came in from Pittsburgh and we did what every redneck does on a Saturday. Took my son and 8 year old daughter to the gun range and shot guns. It was my daughters first time. She used a .22 rifle and brought her target of a man outline home filled with bullet holes and hung it on her wall. My wife is so proud.

Then my brother - an ex wheel horse junkie - wanted to look at the tractor and see what was the problem. First I looked at the hour meter.

DSCF2942.jpg

That says 3215. I did not have a good feeling at that point. Then we checked the oil. Nothing but the tip of the dipstick covered in dark sludge. Uh-oh.

Then I told my 8 year old to get a picture of the tractor for you guys and this is what she took.

DSCF3011.jpg

My brother is standing up. I am the plumber in the fore ground.

To be continued....

dgjks6

Well, we got the motor off. I did crack the plate on the side of the motor trying to the PTO off.

DSCF3015.jpg

And we found this in the oil pan.

DSCF3016.jpg

Piston gone, cam cracked, and I having a memory problem now, but where the piston attaches to the thing (Oh my god my memory sucks) was messed up.

So we decided to check out the snow blower.

DSCF2953.jpg

Everything spins free. Very little rust - but was recently sprayed with a can of paint. Unless the chain drive is supposed to be red.

Now I have a few questions about the blower. This is not a stock hole is it?

DSCF3012.jpg

And at the end of this rod.

DSCF3013.jpg

is this

DSCF3014.jpg

Is there something at the end I am missing? And what does it attach to?

The tractor must have been well cared for until its demise. The metal is solid (the plastic is cracked) and there is no rust.

I do have a few questions though. Is it worth repowering a machine with 3200 hours? Is the transmission toast. Seems to shift fine. Anyone want to come get it off my hands?

For the right price I will give up the non functioning tractor and throw in an bent and unusable 42inch deck.

Anyway - what a great day. I wanted my 13 year old son to help us tear the motor apart and I told him to help. I sent him to find a big screw driver from the basement for us to use as a pry bar and he never returned.

TJ

A good motor and a transmission flush and she will be good for another 3000 hours. :thumbs:

The snowblower is missing the lift flag that attaches to the lift arm of the tractor. You can find a picture and dimentions in this post.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...08&hl=lift+flag

Nice find. :thumbs2:

Tom

dgjks6

So I read your post, looked at the link and thought - darn - not really darn but another four letter word -

Figures I got a blower I can not use and I have no fabricating ability. Then I get an idea - look at the tractor and low and behold...

DSCF3017.jpg

I guess that alleviates my fears that the blower was not for this tractor. Should bolt to my 312 just fine. Now just waiting for snow.

By the way - a huge thank you TJ.

If not for that post I may have scrapped the tractor with the one part I really needed.

Can I pay you with some extra metal from the inside of a motor.

Oh - and it came to me - crankshaft - the crankshaft is also messed up.

Greg

pfrederi

The chain on your blower is way to loose and probably that was the cause of the enlarged uneven hole

TJ

You won't be thanking me when you have to put the clip in that holds the lift flag to the to the lift arm. :thumbs: Other than that, mounting it on your tractor is about a two minute job. :thumbs2:

Good luck

Tom

PS: When my boy was thirteen, not only would he not return, he would take the screwdriver with him.

hodge

The word is twitterpated- you were so enamoured with your purchase and the fun of the day, that words were just escaping you. Everyone here can understand that.

You have other horses, so if it were me, I would keep it. Many good parts there that you will need sooner or later...

Congratulations on a cool find, and a nice deck. That is my greatest joy, finding tractors with good mower decks- they are the achilles heel for WH's (and most other mowers). Most everything else goes on and on, but the decks will get harder and harder to come by, in good, useable shape.

nylyon

Then my brother - an ex wheel horse junkie - wanted to look at the tractor and see what was the problem.

:thumbs2: ex wheel horse junkie?

The deck looks great. My guess with the blower is that at one point someone put the chain on wrong and either they enlarged the hole or the chain did it for them.

dgjks6

My brother is 15 years older than I an very mechanical (he grew up to be an engineer). The first family wheel horse - early 60's - lasted 13 years and he rebuilt the motor twice. The next - an early 70's - he also modified and rebuilt the motor a few times. Then the 1989 that I have I was old enough to mow with and take care of. My brother moved out and never got another horse.

If you don't see a pattern then I will tell you. My Dad and older brother did not believe in preventative maintainence. They would rather rebuild the motor every 5 years instead of routine oil changes. I do. That's why mine is now 20 and runs as good as new.

oldandred

A good motor and a transmission flush and she will be good for another 3000 hours. :thumbs:

The snowblower is missing the lift flag that attaches to the lift arm of the tractor. You can find a picture and dimentions in this post.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...08&hl=lift+flag

Nice find. :thumbs2:

Tom

Tom did you see the rod cap laying in the bottom of the pan motor flush aint going to help it at all

Duff

Tom did you see the rod cap laying in the bottom of the pan motor flush aint going to help it at all

I think Tom said a good motor and a transmission flush........ :thumbs2:

Duff :thumbs:

wh500special

First I looked at the hour meter.....That says 3215.

Don't sweat it too much Greg, I don't think the C-85's came with an hourmeter so perhaps the clock was used on something else prior to landing on your dashboard.

Of course, I suppose the possibility exists that the tractor already accrued some additional hours prior to the meter being installed, but with that kind of total you should find some real slop in the linkages, steering, and front axle pivot.

3200 is a ton on a small piece of equipment like this. Most I am aware of is over 5000 hours on a 418-C. But the engine had been overhauled at least once.

Nice little tractor. If you start shopping for a replacement engine keep in mind that your existing crankshaft diameter is 1" whereas most common replacement engines 10hp and up are 1.125".

Of course, that 1" shaft opens your possibilities to converting to something else (like a diesel).

Have fun,

Steve