mort

Kohler 18hp

mort
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Thank you! I haven't had a chance to test out the coil or look at the points yet. Mort

pfrederi
1 hour ago, mort said:

Thank you! I haven't had a chance to test out the coil or look at the points yet. Mort

There are no points on a magnum

mort

Thank you!

I don't know if you looked at the thread but I got it working and then it stopped. I thought it was running hot and it smoked some near the muffler area after it stopped.

I am not getting any spark anymore. Since it doesn't have points does that point to the coil or is there a ignition module like the Onan has?

Thanks,

Mort

pfrederi
25 minutes ago, mort said:

Thank you!

I don't know if you looked at the thread but I got it working and then it stopped. I thought it was running hot and it smoked some near the muffler area after it stopped.

I am not getting any spark anymore. Since it doesn't have points does that point to the coil or is there a ignition module like the Onan has?

Thanks,

Mort

There is a module 52 584 02 and a specified air Gap for it.

ming.JPG

mort

Thank you!

I did clean out that area (mouse bedding) and removed the coil and bolted it back in place.

I didn't check the gap (didn't know better) and because there wasn't a lot of movement available.

I spaced that "slight" gap evenly maybe the same as a business card.

Would it start if the gap was incorrect? I doubt that the space changed but it could have.

I noticed on the Magnum manual that you sent down that the spark plug they listed was a RV17YC (.035 gap) my Wheel Horse 418A manual says RV15YC (.035 gap)

Would that RV15YC make the engine run hotter than normal and could that have blown the coil?

Thanks,

Mort

mort
On 6/10/2023 at 11:06 AM, pfrederi said:

ming.JPG

On 6/10/2023 at 11:06 AM, pfrederi said:

ming.JPG

Question for you..........

The Kohler manual shows the ignition module to magnet air gap is .008/.012

Why the two numbers?

My feeler gauge shows either.008/0.20mm or .012/0.30mm

Which one is correct?

Thanks,

Mort

Handy Don
3 hours ago, mort said:

The Kohler manual shows the ignition module to magnet air gap is .008/.012

Why the two numbers?

My feeler gauge shows either.008/0.20mm or .012/0.30mm

Which one is correct?

Both are in inches and together they define the acceptable range for the gap which is OK anywhere between

For example, if you measure and come up with .010, you need not futz with trying to get it any closer!

mort
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Both are in inches and together they define the acceptable range for the gap which is OK anywhere between

For example, if you measure and come up with .010, you need not futz with trying to get it any closer!

Thank you!

Mort

• Like 1

mort

Quick update....replaced the coil and it immediately started.I could start it with just a turn of the key. Still think it might be running hot only because the cooling fins/cylinder head area is smoking a little plus i need to keep the choke out or it will stall.

I maybe ran it for 5 or so minutes but really didn't look at my watch. I didn't want to burn up another coil. What would be reasons why I need to keep the choke open?

Still would like to get an answer on this question.....I noticed in the Kohler Magnum manual that the spark plug they listed was a Champion RV17YC (.035 gap) my Wheel Horse 418A operator's manual says Champion RV15YC (.035 gap)

Would that RV15YC make the engine run hotter than normal and could that have blown the coil?

I also noticed that the Champion RV17YC is suppose to run hotter. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Why? I never saw to manuals that showed two different spark plug under specifications.  The Wheel Horse 418A parts and service manual (810 480R1) even shows a different Champion spark plug all together. Lots of confusion here!

Anybody have better pictures of how to adjust a 418A neutral linkage adjustment as the tractor creeps after the brake pedal is depressed? Automatic Transmission Neutral Adjustment on page 79/80 in the parts and service manual is not too good at all!

Thanks,

Mort

pfrederi

Too lean a fuel mixture will make an engine run hot and make it prone to stall under load.  Choking richens it.  I have run the RV17 for as long as I have had-it  (several years).  I think they came with Walbro fixed main jet carbs.  If that is the case your lean condition is probably due a to partly blocked jet.  More car cleaning is in order....

mort
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Too lean a fuel mixture will make an engine run hot and make it prone to stall under load.  Choking richens it.  I have run the RV17 for as long as I have had-it  (several years).  I think they came with Walbro fixed main jet carbs.  If that is the case your lean condition is probably due a to partly blocked jet.  More car cleaning is in order....

Thank you!

Mort

mort
On 6/17/2023 at 9:52 PM, mort said:

Thank you!

Mort

I used some Seafoam  down the throat and let it sit over night. Then I turned the engine and let it sit for a while. Started right up. Running better and then I noticed the throttle wasn't doing anything as the linkage was stuck. Still not 100% but better 

Thanks,

Mort