Ed Kennell

EX Mark won't start

Ed Kennell

An old friend just called for help. He was mowing with his zero , blew it off with air and now it won't start.   When he turns the key to on, he hears a loud click and humm. when he turns key to the start position, nothing.       M/N L2AS25KC60        I told him to check all visible safety switches, connectors, and fuses.         Any ideas or help to find a schematic appreciated.

squonk

Common theme with the Zero's. I was in a store that sells them yesterday and a guy was in asking about the very same problem. Guy at the counter said there was one in the shop and another in line with no starts. Micro switches are flimsy and they don't like water and dirt. 

Zero's are either a no start or sunk up to the frame in a wet spot. Saw one buried this morning in a yard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

WooHoo , just got a call.     The blade engagement switch was on preventing it from starting.   He must have bumped it while blowing off the mower.  All is well.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

THAT's why the are called a ZERO Turn - blow it off, twist the key and get ZERO TURNs out of the starter !!!! :angry-screaming:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Rick3478

Things are loaded with safety interlocks these days.  Neighbor lady has called me over several times when she can't get hers started.  Usually she gets off to drag a twig out of the way and leaves the blades on.  Of course it shuts down obediently and then she's confused.  Have to keep telling her "sit on seat, turn everything off, handles in neutral position."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

clueless

Had mine for 9 years now, other than basic maintenance no problems, 385h. The only reason I would cut my grass with one of my Wheel Horses now is if the Z wasn't running. Most box store Z turns are like their riding mowers, you get what you pay for. If you buy a quality one from a dealer, like Gravely, Hustler, Scag, Exmark etc. you'll get a well made sweet grass grass cutting machine. Like most things even some of these can have their problems think 520's :o.

Edited by clueless
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

clueless
Just now, Rick3478 said:

Things are loaded with safety interlocks these days.  Neighbor lady has called me over several times when she can't get hers started.  Usually she gets off to drag a twig out of the way and leaves the blades on.  Of course it shuts down obediently and then she's confused.  Have to keep telling her "sit on seat, turn everything off, handles in neutral position."

And that's a good reason for safety interlocks.

• Excellent 4

squonk

You pay a little or pay a lot. They all get stuck and are a PITA to drag out. It's been pretty dry around here but still saw one buried today. When I was travelling around for work I would see 2 or 3 a day stuck everyday

Edited by squonk
  • Haha 2

RED-Z06

My 03 Exmark Lazer Z HP just turned 1000hrs, 20hp Command, 48" cut.  So far its been very reliable.  Sold a 52" to a friend who never covers it or anything and he's on his 4th season of neglect with just blades 

WHX??
On 5/20/2023 at 4:14 PM, squonk said:

I would see 2 or 3 a day stuck everyday

Must be in the water you guys drink...:ychain:

Understood Ed... My green one came with dad's estate and it is just loaded with interlocks. I have no idea how he even operated it in his later years. I have trouble remembering how to even start it. OK Sqounky left myself open ther. 

Worst part is I know I can't get manuals for it but have to take it to a dealer with issues. Not gonna happen I'll park it next to his head stone. 

It was going down the road, only one of their 2800 cheapies and cuts a nice head of grass :chores-mowlawn:but every time I hop on it I think of him so :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
On 5/20/2023 at 1:53 PM, Ed Kennell said:

When he turns the key to on, he hears a loud click and humm.

Turns out the loud humm was the blade is engaged alarm.

WHX??
32 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Back in the day Ed we called these things sailor proof. 

• Haha 2

Wheel-N-It

I bought this Hustler Fastrak in April 2022. The salesman told me to blow the dirt and stuff off it every time after I mow, and DO NOT ever wash it. 

I listened and have followed his advice. So far no problems.

Hustler Fastrak.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:confusion-shrug:                                Probably someone got tired of hearing the warning buzzer and stuffed a rag in it.              :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2