gretle_2.0

Rattling near drive belt bushing worn???

gretle_2.0

Hey guys I have been getting a rattling sound from the pulley rod area for awhile. At first I thought it was the spring that was worn out so I replaced it but I still get the rattle. I can see the rod I circled in the diagram below rattle when the rpms come up. I am assuming the possibly the bushing #43 is worn out causing this rattle? I just wanted to confirm that was the part I need before ordering more parts that won’t fix the problem.

Much appreciated!

IMG_1708.jpeg

lynnmor

You should be able to see or feel if there is excessive play at the bushing.  Check to see if the pulley spins smoothly with little play.  A worn drive belt can cause the symptoms you mention.

• Like 1

gretle_2.0
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

You should be able to see or feel if there is excessive play at the bushing.  Check to see if the pulley spins smoothly with little play.  A worn drive belt can cause the symptoms you mention.

There’s definitely some play in the bushing for the pivot arm but I believe it’s a metal correct? I guess those can wear out?

lynnmor
2 hours ago, gretle_2.0 said:

There’s definitely some play in the bushing for the pivot arm but I believe it’s a metal correct? I guess those can wear out?

Looks like a sintered bronze.  Some play is OK, I think you have other problems.

image.png.853b21a518e27db5128e16c7e6d57d6c.png

gretle_2.0
17 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Looks like a sintered bronze.  Some play is OK, I think you have other problems.

image.png.853b21a518e27db5128e16c7e6d57d6c.png

Okay thank you, I guess I’ll try replacing the belt and pulley first. Spring was quite worn out so I replaced that but still rattled pretty bad on the pivot arm.

Handy Don
34 minutes ago, gretle_2.0 said:

Okay thank you, I guess I’ll try replacing the belt and pulley first. Spring was quite worn out so I replaced that but still rattled pretty bad on the pivot arm.

Practically speaking, you really have to get the spring and belt off and then test the idler pulley pivot and the idler pulley itself for play. It doesn’t take a lot of play to cause a rattle if the belt is worn in spots or all over (remember, belts don’t stretch--the V sides wear down and the belt rides lower in the grooves making it seem longer). No need to replace things that aren’t broken!