MJC12

Help with P216G Carb Service

MJC12

Hi all - I've poked around here bit looking for advice but finally decided that I need some direct help so here I am, first post etc etc!

I have a Wheel Horse 416-8 with Onan 216G, ~400 hours. I bought it from my uncle who used it to mow and blow snow for years. When I got it the thing was filthy (still is) and he let me know that it likes to run on half-choke, doesn't really like no-choke. Doing that worked for me for a while but lately I haven't been able to keep the thing running at all. It will start on full choke but surge and soon after dies. One other bit of info is that the surging and struggling is worse once the engine is hot, making me wonder if there's a sealing issue which could be fixed with new gaskets. Fuel pump has been replaced and I can see fuel moving through the filter to the carb but beyond that I'm at a loss. Air filter is clean enough and engine oil is full.

I'd like to fully clean and rebuild the carburetor before proceeding to other parts of the machine. My problem is that I've never worked on carbs before and I don't know what gaskets/seals/parts to order, it seems like there are different versions and parts kits of varying quality. So far all I've managed to do is take off the air cleaner assembly and spray carb cleaner into the top which didn't seem to do much.

What can I do to confirm my carb and what kit should I purchase once I know what I've got? I'll also likely replace the fuel lines and filter while I'm at it and drain/replace the gas.

I've also been under the assumption that outright replacing the carb with a 'new' part from Amazon or eBay would not be the best course of action but correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QZZHFG9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A15Z6XHWYVXAFU&psc=1

Thank you!

Edited by MJC12

rmaynard

:WRS:

I was having the same problems with my 416-H, P216. I would have surging, not running unless partially choked, etc.

So after spraying brake cleaner into carb many times, I decided to install a new, aftermarket carburetor purchased on Amazon. It was cheap, and was a direct fit, easy installation (had to remove the intake manifold to get to the bottom screws). It started right up and has run great since. So unless you are ready to tackle a full carburetor disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly, a replacement just might be the way to go.

MJC12
24 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

:WRS:

I was having the same problems with my 416-H, P216. I would have surging, not running unless partially choked, etc.

So after spraying brake cleaner into carb many times, I decided to install a new, aftermarket carburetor purchased on Amazon. It was cheap, and was a direct fit, easy installation (had to remove the intake manifold to get to the bottom screws). It started right up and has run great since. So unless you are ready to tackle a full carburetor disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly, a replacement just might be the way to go.

That certainly sounds easier than servicing my current carb. Maybe I'll go with a new carb and replace fuel lines and filter at the same time and see how things go. Can always rebuild the old carb and put it back in later!

Would you be able to recommend a suitable replacement? The one I linked in my original post seems like it would do though I don't need a new pump so perhaps this one instead?

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Replace-146-0496-146-0414-146-0479/dp/B07MBF3WNS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1GDPLANXL2JJU&keywords=onan+P216G+carburetor&qid=1684513100&s=automotive&sprefix=onan+p216g+carbureto%2Cautomotive%2C103&sr=1-4

Edited by MJC12

RED-Z06

P series used a 2piece intake, they were riveted together and a bit of sealer used...they have a tendency to go back to being a 2pc...and it causes a huge air leak.

20230414_195930.jpg

• Excellent 1

MJC12

Thanks RED-Z06. I watched an Onan carb maintenance video earlier today and heard similar comments. Easy remedy without splitting the manifold was to razor blade off all of the old gasket from the outside of the manifold and RTV grey to seal it up. I'll likely do that at the same time as whatever carb fix I do.

8ntruck

Checking for manifold leaks is a good start.  Having to run with partial choke is also a symptom of dirt in the carb.  A carb rebuild usually clears that up.  

Disclaimer - both of my Horses are Kohler powered.  I have not worked on an Onan.  It is said that Onans can be temperamental at times.

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, MJC12 said:

Thanks RED-Z06. I watched an Onan carb maintenance video earlier today and heard similar comments. Easy remedy without splitting the manifold was to razor blade off all of the old gasket from the outside of the manifold and RTV grey to seal it up. I'll likely do that at the same time as whatever carb fix I do.

If you are replacing the carb, youll have the intake off at that point

rmaynard
3 hours ago, MJC12 said:

Would you be able to recommend a suitable replacement? 

Unfortunately, I bought it about 4 or 5 years ago and Amazon no longer has records of it. The one in the link looks identical.

MJC12

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll do a visual inspection of my carb today to check for any differences between mine and the ones on amazon and get one on order. Reviews seem mixed across the board so it might be a roll of the dice.

Current plan of action:

1. Remove intake manifold and carb
  2. Reseal manifold, replace carb with new unit
  3. Replace fuel lines and filter
  4. See what happens and report back!
  • Like 1

RED-Z06
15 minutes ago, MJC12 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll do a visual inspection of my carb today to check for any differences between mine and the ones on amazon and get one on order. Reviews seem mixed across the board so it might be a roll of the dice.

Current plan of action:

1. Remove intake manifold and carb
  2. Reseal manifold, replace carb with new unit
  3. Replace fuel lines and filter
  4. See what happens and report back!

Well, the oem Nikki carb is as good as it gets (if its an adjustable model), if its a non-adjustable then an adjustable aftermarket would definitely be the way to go.  However if you find a split intake, and your stock carb is adjustable style, id try to use it.

lynnmor

Take photos of the linkages before you start.  Remove the intake with carburetor.  Remove the carburetor from intake.  Remove the screws and take it apart so you can clean it well, if you are lucky no parts will be needed.  Use new genuine Onan gaskets under the carburetor and for the intake.  The Onan Service Manual has instructions starting on page 7-2.  Pay close attention to bolt torque for the manifold, do not over-tighten.

• Like 1

MJC12

I resealed the manifold and installed the replacement carb. Unfortunately I'm having the same surging issues. I'm going to clean the Nikki carb and put that back in because the amazon unit is pretty cheap looking/feeling and also the choke mechanism is upside down so I had to hack something together with some mechanics wire to get it to work work with the choke cable. On that note, does anyone know where I can get the connecting link that ties the choke mechanism on the carb to the choke linkage? (goes where the blue arrow is in this pic).

image.png.9279f9c09db28150915f8c1f71fb8c1b.png

EDIT: Never mind, I found it! It's "153–0500 Link, Choke" 

Edited by MJC12