JoeB

Starter 314H

JoeB

My 314H won't start.  I just hear the starter motor running but the engine doesn't turn over.  I removed enough engine cover to see what is happening.  When I jump from the battery positive to the starter contact the shaft rotates but it doesn't advance to engage the engine.  I tried pulling on the gear but it doesn't move out.  There is a small spacer and spring in front of it which move freely, but the gear itself won't advance.  Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Kenneth R Cluley

check battery voltage, if low it won't spin fast enough to engage the bendix to spin flywheel. It will rotate but not drive gear into area of flywheel. Could also be frozen, clean up and apply "graphite" or any dry type lube.

• Excellent 2

Achto
13 hours ago, JoeB said:

When I jump from the battery positive to the starter contact the shaft rotates but it doesn't advance to engage the engine.  I tried pulling on the gear but it doesn't move out.

The gear on the starter is on spiral splines. It needs to rotate in order to move out. I suggest pulling the starter out so you can work on it on a bench. Grab the gear with a pliers and rotate it to get it to move out on the shaft. DO NOT use any type of liquid lubricant on the spiral shaft or gear!!! Use only a dry graphite powder to lube the shaft & gear. Work the gear in and out several times to get it freed up. This should cure your issue.

This video should help you out. Your starter should be very similar. The guy uses penetrating fluid in the video. I don't recommend liquid lube on the starter drive, I have wrecked the Bendix clutch in the past with liquid lube. Now I will only use powder graphite.

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1