Dominator

Strange issue

Dominator

Hello all,  my neighbor has a low hour 314-h, (300 hrs).  It starts fine for him, he cuts about 40 minutes, no issues.  When he finishes up, it’s on a bank that separates our property.  This is where it begins.  Engine will start sputtering, try to shut off, Have to keep feathering choke to keep it going.  May recover enough to get back to his shed.  Seems once it’s back on the level for awhile, it’s good to go again.  I put sea foam in gas tank, no luck.Any idea which direction to go next, not sure if he had old gas in tank before. Thanks for any help, Dominator

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Being tilted "on a bank" is probably causing the float or the needle valve to hang up in the carburetor bowl, and he's not getting any fuel.

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

JAinVA

I agree with SPINJIM.

• Like 2

kpinnc

Being a 314-H, it should have a Magnum 14 on it. Not sure if he's using ethanol-free fuel or not, so it's a good idea to drop and clean the sediment bowl on the carb as well. 

And though it's more expensive, ethanol-free fuel is worth it. Ethanol wreaks havock in an aluminum carburetor. Over time, it will destroy it. I don't care what some may say, water and bare aluminum do not like one another. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Dominator

Yes, it is a Magnum, I asked, he is not using ethanol free fuel, should entire carb be removed and cleaned or will just cleaning sediment bowl do the trick?Dominator. 

Edited by Dominator
Typo
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

I think by the time he is finishing up on that bank, fuel is running to one side of the tank since it’s probably low by then…

then using the choke gets the fuel air mixture back where it will run with the reduced fuel in the carb…

That’s what’s happening…

Oh, and the ethanol gas…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Dominator said:

When he finishes up, it’s on a bank that separates our property.  This is where it begins.

Wheel Horse Safety 101, directly from the operator manual for a 314-H. Not only is your neighbor having fuel problems he is also starving the engine for proper lubrication. Think about where the oil slinger on the connecting rod is placed, smack dab in the middle of the oil pan. If the engine is tilted to one side or the other the oil will not be distributed by the slinger and the engine life will be shortened as a result. Mow up and down the slope.

442985324_Screenshot(136).png.85ef7b12c0efd18fb602ddf6791aedb8.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

Maybe he could mow up and down the bank first, to not starve the engine of oil, then finish on the flatlands to not starve the engine of gas…

• Like 3

kpinnc

Agreed, operate the tractor up and down the slope. If you can't back up the slope without spinning the wheels, you should never be on it anyway. 

Most folks don't think it's a big deal. Saw this article recently. Kinda hit home since it's a Wheel Horse. Very sad stuff:

Owner killed in WH rollover

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Dominator said:

should entire carb be removed and cleaned 

yes

JoeB

I had a similar problem with my 314.  It ran fine for about an hour and then would sputter and stop.  After a hour or so I could start it again.  This only happened in the summer, not the winter.  I decided it was a weak fuel pump and vapor lock when the engine got hot.  Replaced the pump and problem went awayl.

• Like 1

Dominator

Been having some other issues now, doesn’t want to start unless using starting fluid, then fires up and is ok for 45 minutes or so.  Starts acting up , starting to think fuel pump is the culprit.  What is my best option?  Is there a rebuild kit for the factory? A good replacement?  Or just go electric?  If electric, is a block off plate needed? Thanks for all answers. Dominator

Bluerubicon08

I do not know if this helps but I have had the same issue with multiple small engines from weed eaters to chainsaws to mowers. Once I was able to fine non-ethanol gas around here I emptied out all old gas, cleaned the carbs and lines really well with carb cleaner, replaced some of the fuel lines and installed new fuel filters where applicable. After putting in new non-ethanol gas and readjusting the carbs everything runs like a champ now. Cheap fixes that required a bit of tinker-time but tinker-time is therapy for me:P