OutdoorEnvy

Moldboard Plowing tips/advice wanted

OutdoorEnvy

Hey folks! I will be new to moldboard plowing and wanted to get advice from experienced members.  This will be a single plow of course on the sleeve hitch.  It does have the adjustment plate to offset the side angle a little.  But wanted to know pros/cons of offsets, and depth and plow angle info.  Use for this will be gardening but also some small food plots down the road.  I'm sure I can avoid some rookie mistakes with a little help from you all. 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by OutdoorEnvy

WHX??

@PeacemakerJack has got a real good plowing thread you need to read. See if I can find it. 

First thing is what kind of dirt? Sand, clay ect? 

Don't worry you'll make alot of rookie mistakes. 

Thing I can tell you is experiment with your set up and see what works best. 

Edited by WHX??
Link
  • Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy

@WHX??  That is a great thread!  I have found my weekend coffee reading material!   I wasn't even thinking about front end weight but will throw on the front 2" receiver and get some weight on it.  I'm hoping my 23x10.5-12 AG tires aren't too wide.  But only one way to find out! 

• Like 2

FARMERIK

On top of your plow there should be an adjustment to control the depth the plow will go by changing the angle. Adjust for best results or jack up left rear tire the height you want to go and adjust depth control so the bottom of the plow is level [parallel] to the ground surface.

With a heavy plow you may need added  front weight. Additional weights on the left rear tire help if it slips.

For a mechanical lift, a light spring assist will help raising it. The shape of the plow will dig it in if light enough.

Most WH hitches center the plow behind the tractor. Ideally the width of your plow is not much more than 1/4 the outside width of your rear tires. While plowing run the right tires in the previous furrow and turn the soil over into that furrow behind the tractor. Rear tires wider than the furrow will not get to the bottom of it where it should be to operate properly. Recent Brinly  garden tractor plows are 10 inches wide. Older ones may be  8 inch or 6.5 inch wide.  

Best to still have the tractor moving while you lower or raise the plow in soil.

• Thanks 1

8ntruck

@FARMERIK  I learned something from this thread.  Long time ago, I was trying to plow my garden with an 8n and a farm store single bottom plow.   It worked - sort of.

Your comment about the alignment of the right rear tire and the plow made the light come on.  I'm pretty sure I had that plow too close to the centerline of the tractor.