upstate yank

1970 wheel horse

upstate yank

well guys I am back and really no difference in the gas pouring out of the breather in the front of the 12 horse  'I have bought 2 carbs and still after it starts gas comes pouring out the breather in the front of the motor ;so where do I go from here

ri702bill
6 hours ago, upstate yank said:

after it starts gas comes pouring out the breather in the front of the motor ;so where do I go from here

Pouring out the "breather" - are you referring to the air filter - if so, that IS a carb problem (unless you have a too powerful electric fuel pump installed that overpowers the needle & seat)

Pouring out the engine breather instead - that is a bad situation - the fuel pump diaphragm has ruptured, raw gasoline is being pumped into the crankcase, diluting the oil and over filling it.. Needs an oil change after fixing the fuel pump...

upstate yank
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Pouring out the "breather" - are you referring to the air filter - if so, that IS a carb problem (unless you have a too powerful electric fuel pump installed that overpowers the needle & seat)

Pouring out the engine breather instead - that is a bad situation - the fuel pump diaphragm has ruptured, raw gasoline is being pumped into the crankcase, diluting the oil and over filling it.. Needs an oil change after fixing the fuel pump...

thanks and you are correct as the gas is coming out of the engine breather not the air filter 'so it seems an other fuel pump is needed always something you know but they are well worth the parts needed 

953 nut
2 hours ago, upstate yank said:

thanks and you are correct as the gas is coming out of the engine breather not the air filter 'so it seems an other fuel pump is needed always something you know but they are well worth the parts needed 

If gas is coming out of the breather below the carburetor it is probably not the fuel pump but your oil has been diluted by gas and as @ri702bill said the oil needs to be changed before anything else is done. If the needle valve is not seating or the float is not set properly too much gas is being passed through the carb. and is not being atomized. The liquid gas will be drawn into the intake but ends up running down through the valve guide to the breather and then to the engine block where it mixes with the oil. Many an engine has been ruined by undetected excess fuel going down the valve guide.

Don't buy another carburetor if you have been gettin the cheap Chinese knock-off ones. Buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the one that came with the engine. These threads will be helpful.

• Excellent 1

upstate yank
7 hours ago, upstate yank said:

I drained the oil today and wow so much came out I am glad that I haven't tried to start it 

upstate yank
14 hours ago, ri702bill said:

thanks as today I did drain the oil well really gas and not oil I have not tried to start it with fresh oil un till I can figure out the problem 

• Like 1