formariz

NOS drill find

Handy Don

Enjoy it!

I could no longer work comfortably with a cord (including extension cords) and without a keyless chuck, reverse, and variable speed. :hide:

But that’s me.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Wow!!! :clap:

squonk
24 minutes ago, formariz said:

Already owning and using constantly several of these vintage drills I was happy yesterday when I came across this NOS beauty for a whopping $5.00. Even with hard use I am sure it will be around long after anything made today. 
2E8D24C2-69C5-4139-987C-AB6CA469A3AB.jpeg.40eb4e1532a7963f0fbbb0718e53e1b5.jpeg

My Grandfather had one of those. I can still see it hanging by a nail by his work bench! :helmet:

• Heart 1

ri702bill

Is that a "keyless" chuck?? 2 prong, probably non-polarized cord, metal housing-- there's a reason they don't make them that way...

The 1/4" chuck is way old school - I buy all 1/2" cordless ones now..

My Dad had one similar mounted in a small drill press stand. I remember the distinctive gear whine it made, along with the sparking brushes!!

formariz
12 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Enjoy it!

I could no longer work comfortably with a cord (including extension cords) and without a keyless chuck, reverse, and variable speed. :hide:

But that’s me.

I keep several each with a commonly uses bit such as with one with a countersink. No reverse needed on those. Drilling speed is ideal on these old drills. This chuck does use a key. It’s an hex-key chuck. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

formariz
4 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Is that a "keyless" chuck??

B81C592F-A34B-4A69-93F6-AF4E3223E7F2.jpeg.7a7ffc5ff79c53c87c657964d8c32227.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

formariz
7 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

2 prong, probably non-polarized cord, metal housing-- there's a reason they don't make them that way...

Over 40 years of using them. Nothing to fear but fear itself:D:hide: 

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

formariz
24 minutes ago, squonk said:

My Grandfather had one of those. I can still see it hanging by a nail by his work bench! :helmet:

940C304E-9462-4FB8-AEBF-17760C584CA0.jpeg.0cda429fec3d780caf17424568b50f4a.jpeg

formariz
32 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

My Dad had one similar mounted in a small drill press stand

image.jpg.d7efe4117b03ec61d7d9cc1a19c9d6ec.jpg

formariz

Real interesting stuff. I never had the instructions for one before. Here is what instructions say in reference to grounding. None of mine however have that wire depicted in instructions.

54D2FEA9-A62A-4532-B626-A5B645913DDD.jpeg.87ee52a7b36c1b2e24c95047c1b5e38b.jpeg

9D434727-5DDF-45D7-BF19-2465B3954CC7.jpeg.10f90f98157dd6978b81c051f53d546a.jpeg

• Like 2

formariz

I stand corrected. Upon closer inspection of plug what looked life a pulling aid is actually where ground wire is. Looks like it was cut off. Will then install the proper plug . image.jpg.cb347c2f7636f63cf3632e42139940b6.jpg

• Excellent 1

rmaynard

My dad had one exactly like this in the 1950's. He got tired of trying to find somewhere to ground the green wire, so he too cut it off. He was never electrocuted, nor did he ever admit to getting a shock or even a buzz from the drill. 

ri702bill
6 hours ago, formariz said:

Over 40 years of using them. Nothing to fear but fear itself:D:hide: 

Shorts to the shorts!!!!! NOT a good day!!! :scared-shocked::scared-shocked:

Edited by ri702bill

cafoose
5 hours ago, formariz said:

Looks like it was cut off. Will then install the proper plug

If it was mine I would put a three prong grounding plug on it and attach the grounding wire from the cord to the drill frame. Then you could plug it into a three prong outlet and it would be properly grounded.

• Like 2

EB-80/8inPA

Love that Flash Gordon design for the space age.

• Haha 1

formariz
9 minutes ago, cafoose said:

If it was mine I would put a three prong grounding plug on it and attach the grounding wire from the cord to the drill frame. Then you could plug it into a three prong outlet and it would be properly grounded.

Already done. All the others were done also long ago. The old cords turn to mush after so many years also. 

image.jpg.da20449c73654cba5470b8e5a6141535.jpg

• Excellent 4

formariz
20 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Shorts to the shorts!!!!! NOT a good day!!! :scared-shocked::scared-shocked:

I never wear shorts while working. :hide:

• Haha 2

ri702bill

:scared-eek:

mrc

i get the whole electrical grounding thing but, .stuff made years ago just looks tuff!  everything today is plastic crap.  

• Like 1

8ntruck

That is the kind of drill I learned on.  Seeing the picture brought back the ozone & oil smell it always had and the 'gear music' it made when running.

• Like 2
  • Heart 3

formariz
11 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

That is the kind of drill I learned on.  Seeing the picture brought back the ozone & oil smell it always had and the 'gear music' it made when running.

At least for me a big part of the attraction to everything old is exactly what you mention such as also the smell of an old tool chest when opened or the smell in a vintage car to name a couple. There is always a nostalgia associated with them . When people walk into the shop that is usually the first comment referring to a certain smell that reminds them of something in their past. I am so used to them that many times I no longer notice them. 

Lee1977

Here is my 1/4" drill it's a Sears Craftsman I bought new back in 1955. Still runs as good as it ever did. Also have a 1/2" Sears Craftsman bought sometime in the 60's the only 1/2" hand drill I have had

Not new but the still get the job done. Took me 70 years before I could buy something with out thinking do I really need to spend money on this. I have a Black & Decker 3/8" professional that I use the most.

SAM-1715.jpg

SAM-1716.jpg

Edited by Lee1977