moe1965

I'm interested in knowing how hard of a job it is to replace the axle. I have the same issue on a B100 as well for now I welded the slot where the half moon key goes and took a small Dremel with a small cut off wheel and made a new slot.   Took some time. If that doesn't work I might swap out for a new axle.   

AlexR
On 6/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, moe1965 said:

I'm interested in knowing how hard of a job it is to replace the axle. I have the same issue on a B100 as well for now I welded the slot where the half moon key goes and took a small Dremel with a small cut off wheel and made a new slot.   Took some time. If that doesn't work I might swap out for a new axle.   

Well I took the transmission apart today and really it's quite simple to change the axle... You can leave the hydro unit in place. I had a bit of trouble getting the axles out because where the snap rings are the splines mushroomed up on the backside and I had to file it down to get the gear off the axle. 

AlexR

Got the transmission split today. Had some trouble getting the axles out of the housings because of the ends being chewed but ended up filing it down quite a bit and then just hammered it through because I figured I would just get new bearings... 

The splines behind the snap rings were mushroomed up so had some trouble getting the gears off. Otherwise it went fairly well, the inside of the case looks excellent. I  did find a broken tooth in the case so I was going through all the gears and couldn't find any broken teeth then I remembered the parking brake and yep found it haha. 

So now onto the issues so I needed 2 axles 2 hubs case gasket, new filter, seals, 2 end bearings and 1 carrier bearing was also bad it had a good bit of play in it. And then if I actually wanted to get a new parking pawl on top of that, it was adding up to quite a bit, and considering it was a 1" axle 4 pinion transaxle.

So I am getting two part transmissions for sunstand hydros instead. Both I believe have 1 1/8" axles. And 8 or 10 pinions. Not going to get it for a little while yet though. 

So while I wait for that I will  be working on other things on the tractor, I am going to repaint the frame and touch up some other spots. I do have some welding to do as well the transmission plate does have some hairline cracks. The belt cover is broken at the engine mount. Repaint the rims change the rear tires and I got some penetrol I am going to try out on the sheet metal paint. 

IMG_20230609_170106079_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230609_162436073.jpg

c-series don

@AlexR did you happen to take any pictures of inside the case? I’m just wondering what it looks like in there! 

AlexR
4 minutes ago, c-series don said:

@AlexR did you happen to take any pictures of inside the case? I’m just wondering what it looks like in there! 

I do not currently no. But I can take some tomorrow and post them. 

• Like 1

AlexR
13 hours ago, c-series don said:

IMG_20230610_110709817_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230610_110654960.jpg

• Like 2

AlexR

Well it's all pulled apart getting stuff degreased and cleaned up.

It really didn't take too long to take apart. They made them pretty easy to work on.

Took down the wheelhorse branded rear tires that are the bigger size to put on as well.

IMG_20230610_160716324_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230610_144223841_HDR.jpg

Edited by AlexR

AlexR

There was a couple cracks on the transmission mounting plate welded the cracks up and then will get a 6x6 plate probably 1/4" thick to back it.

Also the tab on on the belt guard where it mounts to the engine was also broken off so welded that up. And then painted up the rims and some other parts that were pretty rusted up. 

IMG_20230617_153534758_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230617_153521999_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230617_153454336_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230617_153505543_HDR.jpg

Edited by AlexR
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

AlexR

Getting it put back together. Got the frame painted up as well. 

IMG_20230627_162523901.jpg

• Like 4

ineedanother

Looking great @AlexR :thumbs:

• Like 1

AlexR

Got it put together as much as I can for now, I could probably start it up and run it now. I do need to drill holes and paint the 1/4" backing plate for the transmission yet though. 

Also may notice I straightened the dent in the front of the hood out. 

I do have a question though for the "brake" which seems to just be a neutral position locator. Do any of you guys have a picture of how you ran that spring? I think mine might not be the original and it's probably to long. It was just ran on the outside with a hose clamp on the rod. 

IMG_20230629_161604505_HDR.jpg

AlexR

IMG_20230629_161554608.jpg

AlexR

Got 2 sundstrand 90-2046 transmissions for a very reasonable price both are limited slip. And they are the hydro gears the one is in pretty good shape I am going to install it and see how it runs getting it painted up incase I keep it on. The keyways aren't to bad, one side is tight the other is a tad loose. Side to side play isn't bad either. Getting a 1410 napa filter and some axle seals for it and going to change the atf fluid in it. And also some set screws and a bit and tap for adding set screws 90° to original ones. 

The other 90-2046 transmission has good keyways but a lot of play side to side on the axles I'm thinking of taking that one apart and see if its in good enough condition to use and switching the hydro piston to piston that was on the tractor onto the transaxle and keeping the hydro gear for parts for the other one.  

IMG_20230804_162948068.jpg

IMG_20230804_163138046_HDR.jpg

Edited by AlexR

AlexR

And she is back together and running!! 

Got the new filter on, new fluid in the hydro. 

Tested her out ran her around a while before testing the hydro and it's strong. Will post a YouTube on that in a bit. 

It's pretty much done, going to pull the hubs back off change the axle seals, drill and tap for the extra set screws on the hubs

IMG_20230805_144259143_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230805_144249178.jpg

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

AlexR

Edited by AlexR

AlexR

Can anyone tell me if they make the circled part anymore it's like a flexible spring plate for locating neutral on the motion lever.

Or what it might be called. I have tried searching for it and can't find it. 

IMG_20230610_160716324_HDR~3.jpg

rmaynard
12 hours ago, AlexR said:

Can anyone tell me if they make the circled part anymore it's like a flexible spring plate for locating neutral on the motion lever.

Or what it might be called. I have tried searching for it and can't find it. 

I think you are referring to the part #327757. It's called a spring detent. No longer available, but A-Z Tractor might be able to find you a good used one.

detent.png.043a9df29cd8ce99f39c64b2349934f5.png

Edited by rmaynard
  • Thanks 1

AlexR
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

I think you are referring to the part #327757. It's called a spring detent. No longer available, but A-Z Tractor might be able to find you a good used one.

detent.png.043a9df29cd8ce99f39c64b2349934f5.png

Thank you very much! 

I know it doesn't need to be there but it would be nice having it for the kids and wife. 

• Like 1

AlexR

Decided to make a wood handle to replace the loose broken handle on the hydro lever.

IMG_20230807_195247727_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230807_195945360.jpg

• Like 1

AlexR

IMG_20230807_195308385.jpg

IMG_20230807_195319170_HDR.jpg

• Excellent 2

davem1111

Looks great!  I have a 1976 B-100 8-speed here in the garage up on blocks that I had hoped to make look like that, but as life would have it I've had very little time to mess with it. 

• Like 1

AlexR
8 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Looks great!  I have a 1976 B-100 8-speed here in the garage up on blocks that I had hoped to make look like that, but as life would have it I've had very little time to mess with it. 

Surprisingly this one actually didn't take as much of my time to fix up as I thought. But it was probably still over 20 hours. 

• Like 1

AlexR

Thanks to A-Z tractor got a spring detent. Had some surface rust but cleaned right up and looks like it wasn't really even used it has no wear that I can tell. 

IMG_20230812_163207011.jpg

AlexR

In the process of making another custom horse hood ornament to match the one I made for my 73 12-8

IMG_20230806_134520595.jpg

IMG_20230812_163243411.jpg

• Like 1

moe1965

Nice job sounds like you need to find another project horse.   I love working on  these tractors and bringing them back to life

• Thanks 1