ebinmaine

Carb linkage length effects?

ebinmaine

This question comes up because Trina had to make a new carb to governor lever link for her Military Tribute Tractor 856. There wasn't one on it when we got it.

I realize of course that the link has to be at, or very very close to, a certain length to function properly.

What exactly are the effects of having that piece be a little too long or short?

Achto
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What exactly are the effects of having that piece be a little too long or short?

I believe too long and it won't run full speed, too short it won't idle down.

• Like 3

wallfish

None for slight length changes

As long as the governor maintains motion without any mechanical limits except for the carb butterfly it will therefore control the carb butterfly the same.

To make a new link on a Kohler K or M open the carb butterfly all the way

Governor arm moved all the way left (away from the carb)

Like setting the governor arm position.

Make your link to that measurement between the two holes.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

To make a new link on a Kohler K or M open the carb butterfly all the way

Governor arm moved all the way left (away from the carb)

Like setting the governor arm position.

Make your link to that measurement between the two holes.

John, you kind of got the cart before the horse though you are in the right barn.     :confusion-confused:  Without the linkage in place that arm will swing way out there.

A slightly longer or shorter linkage won't make a big difference as long as it doesn't prevent the governor arm from moving all the way. Make a linkage that is about the same as others in your heard have. Connect it to the carburetor and governor, open the throttle plate all the way and then set the governor arm as the manual tells you to.

• Like 2

rmaynard

All of my engines with a K161 or K181 have the linkage wire in the 3rd hole from the throttle shaft, and the other end in the bottom hole of the governor arm. Length between holes is 2-5/8". I find that with the linkage set up as described, I have smoother control over a range of idle to full throttle.

2102824743_IMG_20230504_0838461202.jpg.b71a336820c289cf1bfa751e2b017d26.jpgq

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

All of my engines with a K161 or K181 have the linkage wire in the 3rd hole from the throttle shaft, and the other end in the bottom hole of the governor arm. Length between holes is 2-5/8". I find that with the linkage set up as described, I have smoother control over a range of idle to full throttle.

2102824743_IMG_20230504_0838461202.jpg.b71a336820c289cf1bfa751e2b017d26.jpgq

What kind of rule has an extra 1/16" on the end?  :confusion-confused:

• Like 3

ri702bill
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The "Baker's Dozen" kind !! :D:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Interesting question. I have several rulers I've inherited over the years and I'm not sure any of mine have extra at the end like that.

lynnmor

My first thought is that the ruler was a hook style with the hook removed.  I have never seen one that had the scale buried into the hook a sixteenth of an inch.  If there is a hole near the end, that might prove my theory.

• Like 1

wallfish
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

John, you kind of got the cart before the horse though you are in the right barn.     :confusion-confused:  Without the linkage in place that arm will swing way out there.

A slightly longer or shorter linkage won't make a big difference as long as it doesn't prevent the governor arm from moving all the way. Make a linkage that is about the same as others in your heard have. Connect it to the carburetor and governor, open the throttle plate all the way and then set the governor arm as the manual tells you to.

True. Shouldn't assume the governor arm is locked to the shaft from setting it before. If it's locked to the shaft from when it was set before it will only rotate as far as the shaft stops rotating, like when it's being set for adjustment.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

My first thought is that the ruler was a hook style with the hook removed.  I have never seen one that had the scale buried into the hook a sixteenth of an inch.  If there is a hole near the end, that might prove my theory.

I haven't had time to do a lot of perusing on the interwebs yet but apparently there are companies that make rulers like this on purpose.  

One of the paragraphs I saw indicated that there's a certain set of students that is taught to use a ruler for measuring off the side by never lining the end up to something. Instead, they are taught to line up the side of the measured object to a given increment on the ruler.

I did find mention that a machinist ruler always starts at 0.

That being the case it would make sense that I've never seen a ruler that did otherwise because all of my rulers came from folks that had some sort of careers in tool making or machine maintenance at some point. 

• Like 1

ri702bill
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

all of my rulers came from folks that had some sort of careers in tool making or machine maintenance at some point. 

Unless they wuz from Chicopee - then they wuz "Shoe Makers" !!! :ROTF:

ebinmaine
Just now, ri702bill said:

Unless they wuz from Chicopee - then they wuz "Shoe Makers" !!! :ROTF:

No Springfield area. All from Athol and Orange.

LS Starrett Tools and Union Twist Drill are the places I was aware of.  

• Like 1

rmaynard
10 hours ago, lynnmor said:

It has MM's on the other scale. They go to the edge. My measurement begins at the line.

• Like 1