Skwerl58

Double checking before adding voltage

Skwerl58

As most know I have been rewiring a 1054 that has a replacement engine that has no auto style coil. We think it is a magneto engine and has a split key ignition with starter button and starter/ generator. I have rewired it and am nearly finished with help from others here at Red Square. Would you please take a look at the schematic that I have drawn and let me know what I have missed or need to change before I add voltage. Also where does the other light switch wire go and also the regulator wiring seems sketchy to me, just a bad feeling? Thanks again to all who comment!

IMG_20230422_161302737.jpg

Wiring schematic, 5-1.jpg

gwest_ca

Your wiring is not correct. Remove the red wire. The blue wire to the magneto should go to the points and condenser.

Light switch wire goes to the "L" terminal on regulator and no different than the original starter generator wiring.

Suspect your ignition switch has a "I" (eye) terminal and that can not be used with magneto ignition.

Is this what your switch looks like? The M terminal is important for magneto ignition.

Tractor 1964 1054 Wiring Rev.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Ammeter wired like this

Tractor 1964 854 Wiring Rev.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

@gwest_ca, he is using the two wire ignition switch that came on the 953/1054. I suggested he use the wiring diagram for a 653 with the exception of the starter and generator and insert the S/G wiring there. His key switch would be operating backward with the engine operating in the old OFF position and not operating in the ON position.

72482752_Screenshot(131).png.b98d97b106406a74a3d29cbef1faf73a.png

953 nut

It would probably be a lot easier to buy a coil with an internal  resistor and wire it up the way a 1054 should be.

Skwerl58

Thanks for all the great input. So I can solve this by going  back to a 12v coil with resistor and re-wire as a stock 1054. Do I remove the magneto system from the engine or just leave it unhooked? In my world, original is best if parts can be had and it keeps it simple for future repairs.

953 nut
11 hours ago, Skwerl58 said:

Do I remove the magneto system from the engine or just leave it unhooked?

Save yourself some time and energy and just leave the Mag where it is and tuck the wires from it in a safe place under the flywheel cover. I Save Tractors is a good reliable dealer to buy parts from.    https://isavetractors.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6cKiBhD5ARIsAKXUdyaujRI1VuIS-O5Nbl99KJzZsGyKwXaN5ZWk2V4Q9sYDGOiIQu3vkjUaArGwEALw_wcB

Skwerl58

Thanks for the help. I have a coil that I can steal from my gt14. I hope to have some good news in the next week about it running.