pfrederi

K-181 Throttle Governor linkage

pfrederi

I only have 3 K-181/161 on my horses.  I have never much cared for the governor throttle linkage setup.  Throttle response is very limited and setting the high end limit somewhat frustrating.  All three of mine are hooked up differently.  There are two holes in the governor arm and three on the carb butterfly shaft. All of mine use a different combination upper lower inner outer...What is correct??  Also the throttle bracket arm is at 11 o'clock on one 9 on another and 7 on the third.....

Big Block setup is much nicer gives wider throttle response and much easier to set top end.

• Like 1

ri702bill

Paul - are they models like 702 and 854? If so, I can take pictures of mine - let me know.... I re-done the adjustment on the 854 last year - works fine now...

1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Throttle response

Is the throttle shaft worn in the carb bores?? That can kill the response....

Bill

• Like 1

pfrederi

753 856 and Commando 8. Throttle shafts are Okay.  I  may have used wrong term for response.  A very small movement of Throttle Knob/cable makes huge speed change...

• Like 2

Achto

I had one small block that did not have an arm on the governor wheel for the cable to hook into. The throttle movement was soo tight that you could hardly find a mid range speed. Could only pull the throttle out about 1/4" from idle to wide open. I welded an arm on to the governor wheel to get the cable further away from center. This gave me more movement on throttle and made it much easier to adjust the speed.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

Moving the linkage connection to the outer most hole from the shaft on the carb and the closest hole to the shaft on the governor arm will give more control movement as those connection points will then have to move a longer distance from lock to lock for the carb butterfly. Changing those connection points shouldn't change the performance of the governor operation but it will be more sensitive. The little arm on the disk is important for throttle control because the connection is farther from the shaft and can even be extended so the wire connection hole is even farther. even a 1/4" would make a big difference

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Make a longer throttle cable.

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1

squonk

IMG_20230428_092159010.jpg.18f540f6fd683609a77a29bf1ed45c39.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, pfrederi said:

very small movement of Throttle Knob/cable makes huge speed change...

Trina agrees. 

Tough to get mid throttle just right and she rarely uses full throttle so it's a constant battle.   

She does use your excellent trick of the clip on the throttle knob to keep a constant on her 867.   

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, squonk said:

IMG_20230428_092159010.jpg.18f540f6fd683609a77a29bf1ed45c39.jpg

We went to the middle hole on the carb because the first one was wicked worn out. Seems to be fine.  

wallfish

Move to here for more throttle control.

That closest hole makes it react fast with slighter movement of the knob

IMG_20230428_092159010.jpg.18f540f6fd683609a77a29bf1ed45c39.jpg.531dc0b210c3ebaa7c6328e4282a2c91.jpg

• Like 2

Handy Don
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We went to the middle hole on the carb because the first one was wicked worn out. Seems to be fine.  

Using a worn hole, especially the one closest to the throttle plate shaft, causes the inconsistent throttle response because of play in the linkage.

Some engines came with a light spring to keep the link wire snug in its hole and some folks have added them (just be sure the spring is in the same holes as the ends of the wire link so it doesn’t alter the governor behavior.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

Aubreysheppard

ive got a 161 but it will start and run good on low revs but when you rev it up 

it will start to misfire 

wallfish
8 hours ago, Aubreysheppard said:

ive got a 161 but it will start and run good on low revs but when you rev it up 

it will start to misfire 

Common cause would be a bad condenser. or it's not grounded well.

Not common but happens, is a bad plug wire too.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I also didn't like the extremely short throw from idle to full on my 854. I couldn't find a combination that really helped so I did this.

820411621_ThrottleModification.jpg.8a79e262151ef716765a618f18032e28.jpg

Right or wrong it works. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
On 5/20/2023 at 1:48 PM, Racinbob said:

I also didn't like the extremely short throw from idle to full on my 854. I couldn't find a combination that really helped so I did this.

820411621_ThrottleModification.jpg.8a79e262151ef716765a618f18032e28.jpg

Right or wrong it works. :)

Interesting adaptation. I’ve been comfortable with the throw on my 854. Now I’m going to have to go look at it more closely to see what’s happening.

Racinbob

Let us know if you find something. This ended up being the best solution I could figure out. :)

gt14rider

This works for me. Set high rpm

20200407_133408.jpg

• Like 1