formariz

Auger vertical alignment jig.

formariz

For the tracery part of these yokes one starts by drilling through to the opposite side. Holes are usually close to,or on the finished lines so they need to be 100% precise or carvings on opposite side will not be correct. When on the horizontal surface of bench I used a couple of squares next to auger to keep holes perpendicular to surface.  Now that I use carving table that is no longer possible since it is at an incline. That position is actually more comfortable and convenient for the entire drilling process since I am standing straight.So I  came up with this jig to keep holes perpendicular to surface. Auger rests up against v groove which is totally  perpendicular to surface. It is totally adjustable and easy to use. One end pivots and is held by an hold fast and the other end uses a c clamp which is captive to jig so one does not need four hands to keep everything together. V groove block slides across beam.  The table’s inclination automatically holds auger against V groove as it drills. There is also a V groove on bottom of block to aid with the initial chip ejection. Since all augers regardless of size are nearly identical in length , block’s height is sized so brace’s chuck acts as a depth stop. 

ECF521E3-CEDF-4647-9D47-52316AFDD02F.jpeg.771b0d3481fda489c8d754e905ed616e.jpeg

ABB71AC3-8758-4631-A257-120E3BB66808.jpeg.b21ce4c4e8f6767d3c2d1813a3fac0cc.jpeg

245E8331-080B-46CA-B304-C67F515B3835.jpeg.069369f76cba13ceb2acb959a8391b30.jpeg

6E454B29-E526-4EBE-8BA2-417F0008F77D.jpeg.39e88d7f74bb2904d578d42d743e24ff.jpeg

B9B17A38-D3D8-4306-AB11-855479F49EB2.jpeg.a8f17a095955d1f0ed3ab3a188443941.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Ingenious!

Question. Drill doesn't appear to impact the groove? Thought it would cut into it from the side?

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

formariz
26 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Ingenious!

Question. Drill doesn't appear to impact the groove? Thought it would cut into it from the side?

Thank you

Auger only cuts on the tip. Two spurs and two cutters on tip. Spurs cut ahead of cutters to provide clean sharp hole sides and facilitate the chip to eject once cut since it is by then cut around perimeter. Sides of auger (flutes) do not cut only direct chips upwards. 
 Contrary to a regular drill bit which works the same way but will cut if an”edge” is exposed. However placed flat against a large surface such as the sides of V groove they will also not cut.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Thank you

Auger only cuts on the tip. Two spurs and two cutters on tip. Spurs cut ahead of cutters to provide clean sharp hole sides and facilitate the chip to eject once cut since it is by then cut around perimeter. Sides of auger (flutes) do not cut only direct chips upwards. 
 Contrary to a regular drill bit which works the same way but will cut if an”edge” is exposed. However placed flat against a large surface such as the sides of V groove they will also not cut.

IF the drill had a tendancy to walk out of the Vee, a hook shaped opposing Vee sliding top cap , perhaps made of half hard brass could be added. 

Remember - this is NOT Woodworking 101 making Bookends (my dad taught 7th grade Woodworking). These tools are in the hands of a seasoned Master.....

Edited by ri702bill

formariz
6 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

IF the drill had a tendancy to walk out of the Vee, a hook shaped opposing Vee sliding top cap , perhaps made of half hard brass could be added. 

Remember - this is NOT Woodworking 101 making Bookends (my dad taught 7th grade Woodworking). These tools are in the hands of a seasoned Master.....

Thank you for the kind words. Brings back memories of one time in a crowd someone complimented me and out of my wife’s mouth unexpectedly comes” yes, he is a walking encyclopedia of useless knowledge “. Shocked everyone but I just burst out laughing.

Auger will not walk out of V because it has a guide screw which will pulls it into wood immediately. I am also using a brace so turning is slow . Rather than making full turns with brace I use the ratchet feature, pulling handle down towards me. Doing that is much more precise than making a full turn and the downward motion also helps keep auger against groove. Even if it had a tendency to climb side of groove, the stopping to ratchet handle back would set it back in place. Naturally  groove is also waxed to help with clearing chips and that also prevents climbing. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz
20 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

It works basically like a doweling jig. The open V groove however allows any size auger to be used. The limit is essentially the distance between the two outside edges of groove in its present state that being 7/8”. Groove can always be enlarged if needed. Since I need to often change from 1/8 through  up to 3/4” during this process the open groove makes it quicker. 

• Like 1