troutbum70

New tractor maybe

troutbum70

Any experience or knowledge with an Husqvarna TS 354 XD garden tractor? Going to be mowing probably some where between 4 and 5 acres starting this year and do not to want labor my old wheel horse 417 to do all that. So looking at purchasing a new Husqvarna TS 354 XD for the job. Any known cons with this machine here in the group?

• Like 1

rmaynard

Three people in my neighborhood have Husqvarna's. Two of them have been replaced with other brands. Not sure of the model numbers, but like the TS 354 XD in the picture on Lowe's website, they don't have rear wheels that bolt to hubs, which is the first sign to me that they are only lawn tractors, not garden tractors. Do your due diligence before plunking down any real money. My opinion is that I would buy a 40 year old Wheel Horse that was designed for ground engagement before I would buy a Husqvarna.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Racinbob

Actually @rmaynard that particular model does have 5 lug rear hubs. But you're right. Really a lawn tractor but I'm sure it would give quite a few tears just mowing. The engine should be pretty good. Personally @troutbum70, I would just use the Wheel Horse. My 76 has been mowing that much plus garden and snow duties and more since the day it was new. For what the Husky costs you could get two or more really premo Wheel Horses. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Racinbob

Another thing you might want to consider is a zero turn. Pure dedicated mowing machine. :)

• Like 4

bds1984

My suspicion is that this model may have a K46 transmission with how inexpensively built the majority of riders are but I am open to being proven wrong.  The K46 would be fine if only 18" tires and 42" and smaller decks were used on them, but the fact that this mower has a selectable option for a diff lock says it may be a K58 or K62.  https://www.tufftorq.com/full-line-comparison/?category=lawn-garden&subcategory=Tuffer  If the transmission were a K57, 58, or 62, I'd be a little more receptive of it.  I would want to measure the diameter of the axle to be sure; the K46 and K 57 both have a .75" while the K58 & up have 1" axles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Another thing you might want to consider is a zero turn. Pure dedicated mowing machine. :)

I love my Scag!  It’s been a great 52” zero turn and I know this won’t apply to many if any people ever again, but Mrs. P told me in 2018 “You go get a new zero turn and you can have as many Wheel Horses as you want.”  Win-win!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

troutbum70

Ok Okay tnx for input guys, this model does have 5 bolt wheel hubs on a k66 tuff torq transmission which is supposed to be commercial grade? I think the axles are 1 inch? Not interested in a zero turn much side hill moving in these acres and it will serve other purposes that a zero turn would not be okay for. My old 417 has seen many many hours of hard use, forced to do more than it was built for. Has mowed many hours of grass and pushed tons and tons of snow and slush. It has earned a rest and it will still see use just don’t want to do that much with it. Tnx for all input.

troutbum70

Your scag is a great machine, if I had considered zero turn I would probably went with the Bad Boy zero turn. Also if I purchase the husky it will not come from Lowe’s, the local dealer which is about 8 miles away and an old school mate. I do believe in helping the local business person. Also my wife thinks I have more tractor stuff than 1 man needs. 

• Like 4

Racinbob
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I love my Scag!  It’s been a great 52” zero turn and I know this won’t apply to many if any people ever again, but Mrs. P told me in 2018 “You go get a new zero turn and you can have as many Wheel Horses as you want.”  Win-win!

Would she consider adopting me? :D

• Haha 4

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Would she consider adopting me? :D

Sure, we could put you to work on the farm!  Hope you don’t mind eating eggs and deer :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2

Racinbob

I'm used to farmwork and love eggs and deer. I've seen some of the other stuff you cook up too. :thumbs2:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

squonk

Zero turns arch enemy is wet leaves. Every fall I see zero turns everywhere stuck on wet leaves and leaving.   some good tire marks. Plus a lot of guys tend to go flat out on them making the deck bounce and leaving clumps and a crappy cut. I enjoy my seat time. It's like therapy and the sound of a singing Kohler stimulates my brainstorming activity.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

T-Mo

Be aware, a lot of the entry level machines, including Husqevarna uses the Kohler Courage engine, which uses a lot of plastic internal parts.

My son-in-law bought a new Husqevarna.  I was constantly working on that thing, finally gave it away.  In my opinion, I would pass on these orange machines.

• Like 1

rmaynard
19 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Actually @rmaynard that particular model does have 5 lug rear hubs.

Sorry, looked at the picture and did not see it in person. 

troutbum70

This model has a 24 hp kawasaki.

Moparfanforever

For mowing grass I will never have another tractor style mower, zero turn all the way for me. 

Just my .02 , mowing 4 to 5 acres , I would get a 60" deck. I have to mow the same amount of acreage, and when it is hot and the sun is beating on you, UGH!! I do not want to be out there any longer than I have to be. 

Good luck with whatever you buy, choose wisely, everything is expensive these days. 

troutbum70

This will have other duty’s other than just mowing, and a quarter of it is verily steep. I am not bothered by the sun, have another 70 acres kept mowed with a Allis D14.