Bob Bauer

Starter generator

Bob Bauer

Good morning, so a couple weeks ago, you guys help me hooking up a voltage gauge or to my wheel horse 702 everything went good, but when I started it up, I get absolutely nothing on the voltage meter, even when I put the headlights on it does was nothing. It has a brand new voltage regulator on it so my next thing I thought of is maybe the generator needs to be rebuilt. It’s been sitting for probably 20 years, but was wondering if I should get any kind of reading on the voltage gauge while it’s running. I ordered a rebuild kit for the generator so I should be getting that next week but just wondering if I’m on the right track .Thank you . Bob

• Like 3

953 nut

I presume you connected one wire from the volt meter to ground and the other to your ignition switch terminal that sends power to the ignition coil +. If the wires from the volt met5er were not labeled to let you know how they should be hooked up they might be reversed. Try swapping them around.

There is a diagram in this download that shows the wiring with a volt meter. 

301756108_Screenshot(126).png.30f0432325fbf87beacbd84f94902a08.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

If the gauge is working and it is hooked up correctly you should at least see battery voltage (12v) when the key is in the on position. While running you should see 13-14.5 volts if it is charging.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bob Bauer

Yes the gauge is marked on the back and I hooked up the wires exactly like you said, but nothing showing on the gauge,but what you’re saying if the generator is bad it should still be showing something on the gauge from the battery itself? Instead of joining the two wires from the old amp gauge I ran the center wire off the voltage regulator straight to the + of battery.

Edited by Bob Bauer
  • Like 1

squonk

Is it the stock gauge or did you replace it with a voltmeter? 

Bob Bauer

There was a amp gauge on there at first and was told to put are you voltage gauge instead so I put on a brand new one on there. I hooked up the positive wire from the voltage gauge to the ignition switch that goes to the coil and the negative side of the voltage gauge to the battery negative post.

Edited by Bob Bauer
  • Like 1

953 nut
20 minutes ago, Bob Bauer said:

There was a amp gauge on there at first and was told to put are you voltage gauge instead so I put on a brand new one on there.

Is it hooked up like the wiring diagram I furnished above?

ri702bill

Bob - you MAY need to re-polarize the charging system. Doing so gets the current flow going in the right direction.

Look over this Delco-Remy file.... it covers how to do that.

Bill

Delco Remy Regulator Manual 1R-116.pdf

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

squonk

Just turning the key on should get battery voltage at minimum.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bob Bauer

OK so I just went outside to mess with the tractor and noticed the battery has totally drained again overnight with the key off so obviously I have something wrong but I don’t know what. Any suggestions? Why would drain the battery for the second time  overnight and this is a different battery.

• Like 1

pfrederi

The cutoff part of the regulator failing can drain the battery.  But first undo anything you did for the volt meter see if problem persists.

• Like 3

Bob Bauer

Thanks maybe I’ll just go back to the amp gauge instead.getting aggravated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

If you carefully compare your wiring to this drawing I'm sure you can find the problem and correct it. When you turned the ignition key OFF did the volte Meter go to zero?

301756108_Screenshot(126).png.30f0432325fbf87beacbd84f94902a08.png

Bob Bauer

It never moved off of 0 at any time running or not.The only difference I did from that drawing is I didn’t connect the old amp gauge wires together, I ran the center wire off the voltage regulator straight to the + battery because I believe it would be doing the same thing by connecting the 2 wires together at the amp gauge and leaving them up in the dash . I asked someone on red square and they said it should be okay.

Edited by Bob Bauer
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Does the volt meter work?? Test it battery + and a good ground. 

Did the S/G keep the battery charged before your rewire?? 

Bob Bauer

I didn’t test the gauge because it was brand new and the generator has been sitting probably for 20 years. It’s a total rebuild on the tractor. I ordered a rebuild kit for the generator that should be here Monday.

Edited by Bob Bauer
  • Like 1

pfrederi

did you test the generator?.   put your multi meter on the battery Get engine running then ground the F terminal on the generator.  Battery voltage should increase and you will probably hear the engine labor a bit..  If so genny is OK and the lack of charge is your regulator not working.  a bad regulator  (cutout part) can drain the battery even switch off.  If there is no voltage increase then genny needs help.  Does the rebuild kit have field coils

• Excellent 1

Bob Bauer

I don’t have a multi meter but I better get one. I have a brand new voltage regulator on it and as for the generator it comes with brushes and new bearings. I’m not sure what you mean by cut out part,sorry.but I really appreciate you trying to help me out thank you.

• Like 1

pfrederi

A part of the regulator is called a cut out.  It disconnects the generator when eh voltage of the battery exceeds the output of the generator...If it fails the battery will be drained through eh generator to ground.  Since you have a new regulator that should not be an issue.  The number of times in the past few years i have had a NEW electrical device /gauge that was dead on arrival is very frustrating...

You could use your new volt meter to run the test.  Jump wire it from batt+ to ground get an engine off reading..fire her up ground the field and see if voltage goes up...

• Like 1

Bob Bauer

Ok I will try that maybe tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks 

• Like 1