ML3

C105 axle seals

ML3

Been putting off doing axle seals on 1984 C105. I'll change trans fluid as well. Time for maint anyway. Not looking forward to doing it today but winter is over. Any suggestions, tricks, etc?? 

IMG_20230407_190544777.jpg

WHX??

Once you get it in the air check for play in the bearings. Bad bearings are often the cause for bad seals. Inspect & clean the hub & axle keyways. Inspect & consider new woodruffs. 

Tape over the keyway when installing to prevent nicks in the seals. 

Consider new set screws but more important check tightness after a couple hrs of operation.  

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oldlineman

Don't pound out on the hub to remove, use a puller, many threads here of examples of pullers to use many homemade. With leaky seals they should not be a problem to remove, maybe.:pray:

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 2

peter lena

@ML3  have any KROIL PENETRATING OIL ? get that soaking after loosing any related mounting areas , breaking away existing paint / rust really helps , also pave any packing pullers ? simple easy make a tiny hole in seal side , screw in puller , pull out seal . also elevate front end off ground to enhance draining , like a couple of quarts hi mileage ATF fluid / oil as a drive around flushing agent. get some driving time on it and watch dip stick effects . also like lucas heavy duty 80-90 H/P  gear oil , with climbing  lubricants , quiet , much better , replace shift boot , tye rap the shifter stick after installation . that will stop the boot from moving around . also lubricate all related linkage areas , especially clutch related , pete  

• Excellent 1

ri702bill

As @WHX?? said - inspect the axle bearings for up and down and front to rear play - there should be almost none. In & out there will be some play - that is OK.

IF the bearings are bad, time to open it up and dig deeper. Replacing seals on a trans with worn out bearings is a true waste of time & money - the seals are the victims, the bearings are the cause. Raise the front of the tractor at least a foot when draining the trans to allow the fluid to go over the hump inside the casting. If the oil is milky, there is water mixed in with it - may be time to flush it twice with Diesel fuel and install a new shifter boot too before refilling it.....

Bill

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@oldlineman  as you know its rarely a one and done anything , make a point of going over every related stage , that has more often than not  completely made the issue go away , .call in , pete 

• Like 1

ML3

Thanks to all for info. Got it done. I ended up replacing bearings anyway. The one side was ever so slightly loose but I just replaced both sides. Luckily, I was able to match up bearing at local parts store. When I got tractor I addressed shift boot/moisture issue in trans so that's all good now. Had a puller that worked to remove wheel hub- it was a bit stubborn. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2