DucksMowers

655 Restoration

DucksMowers

This past week or so I started the mechanical work of a 655 that I have plans to restore. Surprisingly not many issues have arose but the few that have, have been swiftly taken cafe of until today where it was discovered that there is magneto issues and the whole thing is likely damaged. So now I must spend some time tracking down a new one. if anyone knows of a good place to find one any source would be appreciated.

I was very busy this past week so I didnt get much time to post about this but i should post more in the coming week. This will also be my first full restoration with high quality paint and materials.

Wheel Horse 655.jpg

Edited by DucksMowers
  • Like 4

Pullstart

Awesome stuff!  That looks like a Tecky under the hood?  Generally, ignition parts are challenging to find for those.  If you don’t mind close to original, I’d suggest you find a Kohler K-141, K-161 or K-181 to power the thing.  They are very easy to service and parts are easy to find.

• Like 2

DucksMowers
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Awesome stuff!  That looks like a Tecky under the hood?  Generally, ignition parts are challenging to find for those.  If you don’t mind close to original, I’d suggest you find a Kohler K-141, K-161 or K-181 to power the thing.  They are very easy to service and parts are easy to find.

It has a Tecumseh h60 in it. I would prefer to keep it as original as possible and also the guys that sell Kohlers around here will run me about $200 but I have managed to get some leads on an ignition coil and new points and condenser on ebay.

• Like 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, DucksMowers said:

discovered that there is magneto issues and the whole thing is likely damaged. So now I must spend some time tracking down a new one. if anyone knows of a good place to find one any source would be appreciated

:WRS:

The internet has lots of videos on testing a Magneto, be sure to check everything over before buying new parts. Jack's Small Engines is a good trusted dealer.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 4/6/2023 at 7:58 PM, DucksMowers said:

it was discovered that there is magneto issues and the whole thing is likely damaged. So now I must spend some time tracking down a new one. if anyone knows of a good place to find one any source would be appreciated

If you're interested in good used parts you may want to contact Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA.  

DucksMowers

I have got new point and condenser along with a new starter coil from jacks small engine and it runs, but now I have issues with the carburetor bowl leaking and would like to know if i should go with a rebuild or a new one.

rjg854

Get a kit and rebuild it you'll be better off in the long run.   ;)

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, DucksMowers said:

rebuild

Rebuild. REBUILD. 

3 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

:text-yeahthat:

Rebuilding/cleaning a Kohler carb is ~ usually ~ very easy.  

I'm not a fan of aftermarket carbs.   

DucksMowers
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Rebuilding/cleaning a Kohler carb is ~ usually ~ very easy. 

I have rebuilt and cleaned numerous carbs and this tecumseh one was probably easier then most the kohler ones I deal with

• Like 1

DucksMowers
46 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I think I will go with that route considering the rebuild is like $10 compared to like $90 for a new carburetor oem.

Edited by DucksMowers
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DucksMowers

Quick update: sorry for the silence but not much progress has been made until the past 2 days as i have been very busy the past 3 weeks but yesterday i got the carburetor rebuilt and today got it running very good. Tomorrow i plan to post update pictures and a video of it running.

• Like 3

DucksMowers

So today i took the 655 for its first drive and it went pretty well i don't have a video of it running and dont want to start it again because its still burning off some old oil and whatever else in the cylinder. For the carburetor situation i was able to get a free used reproduction one from a friend and stole the bowl and gaskets from that and it has been working really well.

IMG_20230521_181251708.jpg

• Excellent 1

DucksMowers

Today I got some carburetor bugs worked out and took a video of it running and in my opinion it sounds more like a motorcycle then a lawnmower.

• Excellent 1