Darrell Floyd

Classic GT won't run

Darrell Floyd

My Classic GT Wheel Horse has been giving me some electrical problems. This winter I went thru all the connections because it was hard to get it to turn over.  Once the key was turned a lot of times it would just grunt and not turn over the starter until it caught and then it started right up and ran great.  It's been doing that for a long time and was just a nuisance until now. Today the PTO quit first a few times then the 426 cc Kohler quit and ran a few times until it died.  It won't do anything now except turn on the lights.  The battery is fully charged.  I have gone thru the safety cut offs before but not recently and I find it to be a nightmare under there.  Lots of times when it wouldn't catch a start I would jiggle the gear stick back a forth and it would catch.  Is there anyway to override that stuff?  I guess that's my next step.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was also thinking of fault diagnosis by part substitution but where would start?  Ignition switch, solenoid, starter?  Anything else?  My local Horse mechanic is backed up 4 to 6 weeks!

• Like 1

Blasterdad
37 minutes ago, Darrell Floyd said:

Is there anyway to override that stuff?  I guess that's my next step.

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Download the wiring diagram in the manuals section for your tractor & troubleshoot from there.

It's kind of an unspoken rule here not to tell you how to override safety switches or recommend that you do so.

If you need help finding your manual just post the model # from the ID tag & we can help you find it. :thumbs:

Once again WELCOME, & we love pics....:)

• Like 2

Darrell Floyd

I was wondering about the override rules. Not sure I would want it that way permanently anyway.  I would just want to override it to trouble shoot.  As I recall there is a split pin in the gear shift lever that I could not get out that holds the safety magnet or whatever so I used Gorilla glue. Yikes! Not looking forward to going back there.  I did not solve any problems either for it continued to grunt instead of starting regularly.   I have an Operators manual for this machine but no wiring diagram is included.  Thanks, I will look for it. The model # is 78345 and ID is 250000563.

IMG_2486.JPG.b7efc7d9187e5b7dd2a7c08e6c92e5f0.JPG

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

If you will give us the model number (under the seat left side) we can furnish the wiring diagrams for your tractor.

Attached is a item by item systematic troubleshooting method that will tell you where the problem is.

4 minutes ago, Darrell Floyd said:

That seems to be the model number of the mower deck, not the tractor.

Why won’t my starter turn over from the key switch?

Lets take a logical step by step inspection of your starter problem.

Is your PTO in the ON position, a wheel horse will not start with the PTO on.

Have you had the battery load tested at an auto parts store?

Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds? Also, are the starter bolts tightened?

Are all fuses good and fuse holders cleaned?

If these have all been done, we can check components of the starting system as follows; don’t skip a step or you may miss the problem.

Be sure the transmission is in neutral and the parking brake is set.

Take a pair of automotive jumper cables and connect the black cable to your battery  "-" and a good clean spot on the engine. Now connect the other cable to the large post on the starter and touch the other end to the battery "+" terminal, does the starter turn over? If the starter turns over the battery and starter are good. If it didn't turn over try the same steps with the battery in your car/truck, if that cures the problem then the "good" battery wasn't so good.

Presuming the starter turned over move the jumper wire from the starter post to the other end of the wire going to the starter which is one of the large posts on the solenoid. If the starter turns over when the battery is touched by the jumper as before then that cable is good, if not you have found your problem.

Presuming the starter turned over move that jumper to the other terminal of the solenoid, connect the other end to the battery and use a small piece of wire to temporarily connect the battery "+" terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid, this should cause the solenoid to close and the starter to turn over. If not, the solenoid is probably the problem.

If this was successful remove the large jumper cable and use the small jumper wire to the small terminal of the solenoid, the solenoid should close and the starter turn over. If not the cable to the battery is the problem.

Presuming all of these have been successful remove the black jumper wire and repeat the small jumper to small terminal, if the starter turns over the ground is good.

If all of these components test good then remove your ignition switch, be sure the transmission is in neutral, parking brake on, clutch depressed and PTO off. Use a small jumper to connect the terminals that were connected to the “B” and “S” terminals of the ignition switch. If the starter turns over then the PTO switch and other safety switches are operating properly and your ignition switch may be bad

Blasterdad

:text-yeahthat:

Wow, she's in great shape, shouldn't take much to get her going again.

Try to find the model # under the the seat like @953 nut said. :thumbs:

39 minutes ago, Darrell Floyd said:

IMG_2486.JPG.b7efc7d9187e5b7dd2a7c08e6c92e5f0.JPG

Achto

:WRS:

gwest_ca

The 78345 model number you provided is for a 2005 mower deck.

Download this file. Each circuit has it's own diagram so just follow the current from the battery to the destination you are having a problem with using a test light or voltmeter.

Do not forget to check grounds.

• Like 1

Darrell Floyd

Thanks to all.  This is all the info I should need and really nice to have.  Your right, the model # is 73450.  I have had her since new so I will find the issue.

Appreciate the help,

Darrell

• Like 1

peter lena

@Darrell Floyd nice looking unit there, that area behind the dash , is noted for electrical glitches , especially cracked / shorted  plug ins . look for a powerdry , outer finish on all connections , that will be your failure area . once you find it , would also add an additional battery ground cable from engine bolt down point to battery ground bolt  , pete