Chrishar

753 restore

Chrishar

I trade a 633 for this 753 needs some loving care but it does run good and third gear is out and the gas tank one of the bolt holes is broken out 

515180142_IMG_20230325_122851100_HDR(1).jpg.bb04dc6b73d05178cd68afbe4ac974c4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Chrishar

Started taking it apart one pices at a time 

20230327_214614.jpg

20230327_214538.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Chrishar

Got the motor and the wiring off start working on getting off the front pices that someone put on it and look at the steering system 

20230330_231324.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Achto

Wasting no time!! :handgestures-thumbupright: Good to see that she's getting some love. Looking forward to seeing it completed.:)

• Like 2

ri702bill

Broken bolt hole - for the hood?? Fairly easy fix - you do need to remove the tank - may be able to leave the upper steering unless the tank bushing is shot. Use a square 1/4 nut imbedded in JB Weld and a lightly greased 1/4 screw to pinch it in place. Fixed the 2 piece tank on the 502 that way.. Lowell sells the new 3rd gear - openit up first - may need more than seals & a boot...

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3

WHX??

Good deal Chris.  He's already got a fist full of 3rd gears Bill ... came across the mother load on fleabay once I think he told us. 

Think it's gonna need axle tube bearings though. 

It's in good hands. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 4

Chrishar

Got a little done last night got that front pices off and weld some holes up that someone put in on the front 

1680361436923-1489096385.jpg

• Like 6

Chrishar

Work on it little tonight made a bracket and weld it in  because it was gone 

20230403_192722.jpg

20230403_201359.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Chrishar

stop Working on taking the tractor apart four a week or two Working on taking the motor a part found that the head is crack so now I will look for one  

20230406_214333.jpg

Edited by Chrishar
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

AMC RULES

753 1963 Lawn & Garden Tractor 753 4-Speed Kohler K161S-28626E 7 Wheel Horse 5025

Seeing a couple K161 heads listed up on Ebay now. 

• Like 2

Chrishar

Thanks for the heads up on the part hoping in a week I can get back on the poorer 753 hoping and willing to have it running and painted by the first of October for the temple show that's the planned 

• Like 5

Chrishar

If anybody can give me some idea's on how to fix the piece that is broken out on the gas tank were the hood bolts too help thanks 

• Like 3

WHX??

I read somewhere a guy JB welded a nut in ther. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto
9 hours ago, Chrishar said:

If anybody can give me some idea's on how to fix the piece that is broken out on the gas tank were the hood bolts too help thanks

I was going to remove the bottom from the tank, clean the area up and use low temp aluminum weld rod to fill the area in.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=low temperature aluminum welding rods

After the area was filled then the plan was to drill & tap a new hole. Then reassemble the tank with a new gasket.

One suggestion, but I'm sure guys will be along with a few more.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I used that kind of product to fill in PO holes from a throttle mount in the 701 tank. Worked very well. 

• Like 1

Chrishar

What kind of jb weld to used 

• Like 2

Chrishar

Work on it last night try to fix the fuel tank with jb weld but no luck with it looking for a welding shop or a another tank or if y'all had any ideas 

20230414_223600.jpg

20230414_223549.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

Why didn't the JB weld work? Only thing I can think of is fill it with aluminum weld then drill & tap. 

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

I did a gas tank rebuild on one missing the two side nuts to accept the thumb screws when the hood was on.   I thought I posted the pics on Red Square three or four years ago but could not find them.

What. I did is bout some 1/4 X 20. Special nuts with a flange.  These are deeper nut that have various names depending on who makes them.  

These are Tacoma Screws but there are others with similar design.  What I did is fabricate a small metal plate and drilled a hole in the plate to accept the Tacoma Nut but JB Weld to  the flange and back of the plate to the tank.  Now the tenanted of the old famed pieces need to be removed (or revised to accept you new plate and Tacoma Nut!     Sorry I don’t have a lot of pics but this works better than using a traditional nut or traditional flanged nut as the extra length on the Tacoma Nut strengthens the fix. 

https://www.tacomascrew.com/Product/055-010

• Like 3

Chrishar

Do you have any picture of the fix 

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Well I found the old pics from a trip to Florida several years ago where I redid my friend Rodney Burger’s 753 gas tank thumbscrew sets.     These three pics show all but the removal of the old metal sets in the tank that accept the thumbscrews.   JB Weld on sides and behind accepted everything fine.  I taped in temporarily and tested hood with thumbscrews to make sure alignment was good.

This works great in my opinion. 

BD675863-B1BC-4E7D-B295-DA96F2C70D04.jpeg

6F390F8A-472C-4C41-BDCE-51D715A3638A.jpeg

6AEE8FDE-CD8B-40A2-A27A-B95F61363F6C.jpeg

• Like 3

Chrishar

Thanks for the good idea I'll try that see how that works 

• Like 3

Chrishar

Found a good cly head and a gas tank just waiting for them to come in planned on next week start working on the old 753 by taking it a part fix the steering system and rebuilt the transmission and go though the motor doing a little body work and a good red paint job and have it all done by the temple show I hope  will put pictures has I go along with this project  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Chrishar

Had little time tonight to work on old 753 got some pices off 

20230420_210145.jpg

20230420_210240.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Achto

Been kinda quiet here.  Any up dates? 

• Like 2