WHX??

Two Gears At Once

wallfish
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Am I glad I have all  foot controlled hydros.   Full forward to full reverse with a wiggle of my big toe.      :hide:

Show Off ! :lol:

But some of us can still lift a blade manually

• Haha 5
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I wish I had a newer set of rails to send you but all I have left are the older style.:)

I remember your thread, and agree that the latest style is best - but the fact is, they will eventually dry up, so modifying and improving what we have might be the best bet.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

@Racinbob I saw an Indy 500 Special roller on CL near you, I bet that trans will fit right in Uncle Jim’s problem child!  :lol:

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1

Racinbob

I remember when my Dad bought a new 704 to replace the Suburban 400. He took it back to the dealer several times to free it up. Finally the dealer showed him how to do it himself. After that it was just listening to him cuss as he walked back to get tools to free it up again. He only kept that tractor 3 years mainly because of that issue. I only wish I knew then...............

John, the 5010 trannys with the three piece case didn't have the problem because the rails weren't in a blind hole. 

• Like 1

Racinbob
10 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I remember your thread, and agree that the latest style is best - but the fact is, they will eventually dry up, so modifying and improving what we have might be the best bet.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Excellent point but considering the rails were never changed again it should be a long time. :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It is my 702 that this happens to.  I can use a 1/8" Allen to reach the set screw from the front under the frame.  Not shifting fast stops the suction from occurring.  :ychain:  :USA:

• Like 2

Lane Ranger
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

My issue on a 654 doing that lock up was solved by changing the shifter to one that wasn't worn flat on the sides. That one gets some pretty quick shifting from 2nd/3rd to reverse when plowing snow and would lock up every once in a while.

You could also weld it up and grind/file to just a little bit bigger ball. It doesn't necessarily need to be perfectly round either, just smooth nice curves on the 2 sides. This prevents the ball from fitting between the 2 forks as them  move allowing them to go into lock mode. :twocents-02cents:

Yes John!

"  Lock up was solved by changing the shifter to one that wasn't worn flat on the sides. "

My dad use to remove well worn sifters and weld more meat on the ball and build up the flat areas.   Even a slight flat spot could lock up the transmission in two gears like Jim is dealing with.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Well guys, apparently that helps but there's really no mechanical reason the typical wear on the shifter would be the real issue. I'll stick with the fix it right mechanically with the correct parts. Once it's done it's done. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

stevasaurus

This usually happens while blading snow.  If you are taking the time to enjoy the fact that you are not behind a shovel, then you can also enjoy the time it takes to shift slow when removing snow...especially the fluffy white stuff you guys get in Wisconsin.  :occasion-snowman:  :banana-linedance::banana-linedance::banana-linedance:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

wallfish
58 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Well guys, apparently that helps but there's really no mechanical reason the typical wear on the shifter would be the real issue. I'll stick with the fix it right mechanically with the correct parts. Once it's done it's done. 

I'm thinking / guessing the mechanical reason for the wear being a problem might be if the shifter and or forks are worn enough it doesn't always move the fork as far as it's supposed to and all the way into neutral so it's more likely to suck back and lock it.

Slower shifting like Steve said does work as that's the easiest solution and only ever locked them when quick shifting. But freezing the nuts off for any additional seat time is something I'm definitely not interested in enjoying at all! LoL Get it done as quickly as possible is the mission here because I have to get to work or finish the work day.

You retired guys don't need to worry about time. Maybe some day

• Haha 3
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

Hi John !!!  I have used the horses moving snow when I was working, so I know how you feel.  I worked outside at the time, so I was kind of used to it.  BTW, I also loved to sit on the ice watching a tip-up all day.  I am seeing myself getting used to the heat of the inside lately since retirement.  I kind of liked it when I was a hearty individual better...I am starting to feel like a woose!!  :greetings-wavingblue:

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Lane Ranger

I also buy those extra long dogpoint screws from McMaster Carr to use in the shifter set screw with a lock nut.   I sold a dozen or so last year at the Big Wheel Horse Show so I know some folks liked that idea. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
59 minutes ago, wallfish said:

freezing the nuts off for any additional seat time is something I'm definitely not interested in enjoying at all!

:woohoo:       Everyone needs a foot controlled hydro with a heated cab for snow removal.   It just takes some longer to realize this.  Welcome to the old wise guys club John.IMG_5359.JPG.a7ab2dece87e90cd411424558dd592be.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 5

wallfish
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Everyone needs a foot controlled hydro with a heated cab for snow removal.   It just takes some longer to realize this.  Welcome to the old wise guys club John.

Just the old part here Ed, still working on the "wise" part to be able to join that club. Although there is a cab on the blower tractor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 2

wallfish
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I am starting to feel like a woose!!

Getting old AIN"T for sissies!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

WHX??
8 hours ago, squonk said:

Dan must be busy! 

He's a workin stiff yet... need him to win the lotto so he can quit  & gots more time to come & poultice my tractors...or maybe not... he keeps wanting to drill holes in orginal hoods...:lol:

Good tips tho fellas. I get in a tranny I put a flat on them shift rails. 

Have a half a mind to get it in the shop when I got room and can get out of E tractor business... Ahem Sylvia ... :ychain:Drop the tranny and go through it. It did pop out of third a couple times. 

1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

This usually happens while blading snow.

Close Dino was back dragging gravel but did move snow with it and sure the PO did. I do have a tendency to speed shift when plowing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1