Redav72

Battery size

Redav72

Were the original batteries larger?  Were they car battery sized?  My little lawn and garden batteries always bounce around in the tray unless I shim it out with wood blocks.

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Redav72 said:

Were the original batteries larger?  Were they car battery sized?  My little lawn and garden batteries always bounce around in the tray unless I shim it out with wood blocks.

There were some in the 60’s that had car sized batteries… but not all.  How big a wood block are we talking?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Do you have a battery Hold Down ?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

There were some in the 60’s that had car sized batteries… but not all.  How big a wood block are we talking?

That goes well into the 70s. 

My 1975 C160 Automatic has the large battery tray.  

I've used the wooden block method, also a piece of felt. 

The C160 tractors I have now get the larger battery.  

Original group may have been a ((22NF??)). 

A group 51 or 51R works fine. Depends on your own cable configuration. I build my battery cables to be long enough to reach either way.  

• Like 3

pacer

All of the five 'D's I've had/have (78 latest model) has the large batt tray. I found early on that one of wally worlds lawn/garden battery - 350CCA? hold up very well. I finally replaced one that was five yrs old last fall. And, since we never get a batt hold down anyway, I just make up one to hold the smaller size.

At 30-35$ theyre hard to beat (course with the latest price raising craziness.....???)

Edited by pacer
  • Like 4

pfrederi

1960s/early 70s used regular top round clamping type terminals Grp 22NF  as Eric points out Grp 51 work also.  This is a 22 NF in and older big battery tray

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1