Ed Kennell

Pa. Trout for Kids

Beap52

If that little gal caught those, she's way ahead of most of us.  CUTE.

Our trout season opens March 1.  It's open all year but only catch and release during winter months.  My brother-in-law and I head to Roaring River State Park in southwest MIssouri.  We always schedule our trip preceding the "free kids fishing Saturday".  The park adds plenty of trout and several lunkers.  We work our fly rods and ultralight fishing poles and barely catch our limit.  These tykes show up with big ole bobbers, Snoopy fishing poles and drag in the fish!  I don't know about Pennsylvania trout but almost all the Missouri trout are all raised by the conservation department.  These fish are fed on glorified dog food. I'm not real fond of them and the only way we cook them is in the smoker.   I talked to the fellow who feeds them in the hatchery and he said that the fish food would not be good for dogs as it had too much protein or something in it.  I would think naturally wild trout would be better eating.

The picture is our grandbabies at Bennett Springs State Park.  It is another trout park.  Our granddaughter loves to fish but often times the competition to find a place to stand and fish can be difficult.  Even though she is a little older now, when she steps up to the creek and throws her line in, the other fishermen give her plenty of room to cast.   In part, because the others like to see a young lady fishing but most of all for self preservation.  Her casts don't always end up where one would expect and taking a few steps sideways is easier than removing a wayward hook.  I have both of their first trout fishing permit hanging in our camper.

gannon cece roaring river st park.JPG

• Heart 3

Ed Kennell
32 minutes ago, Beap52 said:

These fish are fed on glorified dog food. I'm not real fond of them

The Pa.  Huntsdale hatchery that raises most of our stocked trout has a good program and if the fish are handled properly after catching, make some good table fare.   They raise mostly brown and rainbow with a few golden.    The bald eagles love the easy to spot goldens. 

Many of the local private clubs raise brook trout that can have a softer filet.     Some  of our streams carry a good population of native and carry over browns.  They are normally released, but if on does swallow the hook and is kept, they are the best with a bright salmon colored flesh.    

We stock early in Feb. and early March, so the fish have 4-6 weeks in the streams before the April opener.104_0591.JPG.4cd1a3851fdabb612c940a87275579c7.JPG

• Like 3
  • Heart 2