23 Reo

6 Speed - 8 Speed

23 Reo

In general, what are the differences between  6 speed and 8 speed transmissions?  My 6 speeds shift easier than my 8 speeds.

• Like 2

pfrederi

No difference that would impact shifting.  gears inside are the same.  difference is 10 pinion differential vs 8.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

As Paul already said, should shift the same.      :confusion-shrug:       Perhaps the Dog-point screw could use a bit of adjustment.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Or maybe a flush is in order in the 8?

• Like 1

wallfish
15 hours ago, 23 Reo said:

In general, what are the differences between  6 speed and 8 speed transmissions?  My 6 speeds shift easier than my 8 speeds.

Can you please explain the "easier" details? See you have multiple tractors with each type of trans so it's interesting to know what's going on.

Stiff movement of the shifter is caused by the dog point screw being too tight like 953 posted

Clashing of gears and not meshing perfect every time may be caused buy the 8 speeds being newer with less worn down flats on the tips of the gear teeth. :confusion-shrug: Typically a quick release of the clutch pedal and depress again spins the gears and they line up. This seems to be much more common on the 8 speeds than on my 4 speeds but don't have much experience with the 6s

• Like 1

23 Reo

It could just be my tractors but my Raiders shift with very little effort and much cleaner than my C's. Sometimes it takes a little effort to shift my C-165 into first or reverse. I usually find a gear that it will go into and let the clutch out a little, push the clutch in and then shift into first or reverse. All my tractors have high hours.  

stevasaurus

You may want to pull the shifter and look inside for old, bad oil or some rust on the shift rails.  If all looks good, dump about a cup of Lucas Oil Treatment (The Trans treatment) through the shift hole and see if that helps.  I'll bet it does.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1