sjoemie himself

New job, tractors!

Handy Don
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

relocated it with a bit of hard-line

Nicely inventive solution! Make you wonder why that isn’t done more often to make the zerks very easy to reach!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself ABSOUTELY !  you got that ! looks like stainless steel tubing ? swage / lock ? thats like going home to me , thank you for the extensive look into your world ,  great stuff , pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
On 10/4/2023 at 11:39 PM, Handy Don said:

why that isn’t done more often to make the zerks very easy to reac

These particular rear axle grease zerks only need 3 to 4 pumps of grease a year. They're only there to keep the outer most axle seals lubricated and to keep dirt and moisture out. Too much grease can cause you to pump out the seals from the axle housing.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:21 AM, peter lena said:

stainless steel tubing

I believe this is somekind of zinc alloy but no stainless, mostly it gets used as hydraulic hard line. Pretty easy to bend by hand or with use of various body parts.

• Excellent 2

sjoemie himself

Tiny work update I thought y'all might enjoy. Pretty rare to see one in the wild let alone in such nice shape and working condition.

I'm talking about a Fendt GT which in this case has been extended to be able to mount a hoe implement which is 'steered' by GPS. The two large disks are the steering wheels and are controlled by a hydraulic ram and ofcourse some GPS software mounted in the cab.

The air-cooled Deutz engine sits mounted flat under the cab. All three 3-point hitches can be raised and lowered separately.

20231018_144142.jpg.2ba1e5b8f15a5d0e1429acc5ceeb36df.jpg

20231018_144202.jpg.f7933592d23ab60450a201c9ddf1cf93.jpg

My job on this machine was to track down and fix an oil leak coming from under the tractor.

Turns out the person who restored the tractor previously tried to weld up a leak in the hydraulic oil tank and covered it up with bondo or liquid metal.

Cleaned all the gunk out, welded the tank, tested and cleaned it, then painted and reinstalled it on the tractor. 

• Excellent 6

Tractorhead

i like those din cooled old Deutz Engines.

they have a special Sound at 1/3 throttle what just they had.

Rocksolid Engines - as long as they have allway’s enough oil in but also quick servicable if needed.

Nice Rig

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@sjoemie himself  that tubing just had the dull look of stainless, worked at production maintenance , PFIZER ,Groton conn , most of our production was on food based make up ingredients , thus the food grade stainless .worked , caffeine shop, poly dextrose, HOPP 2 , miller beer , concentrate ,1, 5 gal  DEL TANGULAR , JUG MADE 25 THOUSAND BOTTLES OF MILLER BEER , NATURAL HOPPS will spoil in a clear bottle , artificial hops won't. like to spend some time on that FENDT . GT, wild looking unit , also did a lot of large glass lined vessel repair , 1500, 2000 gal tanks , saw them made in in NY STATE  , PFAUDLER GLASS. SPRAY ON POWERDED GLASS , bake it in giant ovens , up in the ceilings for heat dispersal .my working days are over , but would have liked to have been on a project with you , my final maintenance supervisor , was a retired  NAVY MASTER CHIEF. treated you like a  person , was there at 2 am too, to help on a job . good talking to you , pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
7 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

zinc alloy but no stainless, mostly it gets used as hydraulic hard line.

When extending the 700psi hydraulics on an Eaton 1100 to have two remotes, I discovered a nice copper alloy brake line in ⅜” diameter. Not cheap, for sure, but good value. Easily bent and working pressure of 900psi (burst at 1300 I think?). Easily bent and flared for JIC fittings. And no rust!

• Like 3

sjoemie himself

Been awhile since I posted something so I thought I'd update you.

I installed (yet another) front PTO on a new tractor. This time the tractor is a Claas Arion 640 and the PTO unit is a 1000rpm Sauter brand. Install is fairly straightforward and the unit comes with a good but compact manual.

This is my starting point, tractor with front 3-point but no PTO.

20231212_095639.jpg.e42bcb2abf2c4df3a708260ad73dc219.jpg

In comes the shop crane to remove the front 3-point.

20231212_103711.jpg.4cb30c6bd0bcbf63daa866fa1b5223e6.jpg

20231212_104047.jpg.d761743b1ae36faad70a6a2c2597b4f7.jpg

Once this is removed a coupler/dampener gets installed on the front of the crankpulley.

The driveshaft for the PTO gets connected to it. Note, just six M8 grade 10.9 (5/16" grade 8) bolts transfer the torque of the engine to the PTO unit.

Dampener installed and one end of the driveshaft bolted to it.

20231212_134657.jpg.940c42897c6ba10ff681665275760e61.jpg

Other end which will connect to the PTO unit gets snaked under the radiator and in between the hydraulic lines of the front 3 point.

20231212_134709.jpg.1da14799ff67dff3d9403f72f80db76b.jpg

Next the PTO unit can be bolted into place and connected to the driveshaft. 

20231212_150218.jpg.ef5a16fffafcfb1745d82514325f9523.jpg

After that the 3 point gets attached again.

Five M16 (5/8") bolts on either side torqued to 290Nm (213 ft/lbs) keep the 3 point in place.

20231212_164327.jpg.7dc5bd610b670bbe26375b6cae4690be.jpg

Then some cable- and hose management needs to happen to keep everything from spinning itself to pieces. Couple of zipties make sure that doesn't happen.

20231213_082340.jpg.d4aa3f8acb39e274f2d93f99c21f87d5.jpg

After installing a switch in the cab, plugging in an extra relais on the circuitboard, updating some software and plugging in the wiring harness we have a functioning front PTO.

20231213_135709.jpg.48297b434a2cc8a4b1ab6bb9d9b376b0.jpg

Edited by sjoemie himself
Added info
  • Excellent 5

peter lena

@sjoemie himself  planetary  gear hub drain , can definitely  relate to that set up  . when you are the fix , in related anything , you have to get inventive . looks like you will stay busy , and enjoy it too ! when my foreman changed over to a retired navy chief , made the days fly by , he was right there , to size up the issue . and made sure you had back up . what a concept , Pete 

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Been awhile.. lots of things passed through the shop but this was worthy of sharing IMHO.

This tractor is getting a serious overhaul and the client wanted cab suspension installed. For some tractors that is a factory option, for this one it is not. 

I ordered some shock absorbers off of a similar model tractor and custom made the brackets. Note: the lower plate has received more reinforcement.

Note #2: the cab is not fully suspended but 'hinges' in the front where it's attached to rubber mounts. 

20240104_145309.jpg.1fc98da39dbc073aff88a61375e1c74a.jpg

20240104_145315.jpg.2f0cc91c89e2d7d9313304319480b9b8.jpg

20240104_145328.jpg.550a1fb829b2a6f5ee21e3eb4105ae52.jpg

• Excellent 5

peter lena

@sjoemie himself can definitely relate to the over building , looking at your pictures was like being in the  experimental  small  tank areas . lots of research , not only on chemical make up , but also on the  durability of the set up , everything ran flat out 24 / 7, make it last , minimize reparative failures .  see what you are doing , Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

this was worthy of sharing IMHO.

Frankly, something that amazes me (in addition to your workmanship 👍) is the condition of the machines you are working on. Are they so clean when they show up (owner washes them beforehand?) or does your shop clean before setting to work?

Very nice and neat job there!

I can see the cab suspension (in addition to a good seat suspension) being worth some $$ for someone operating on rough ground all day long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
35 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Are they so clean when they show up

Short answer: NO :lol::lol:

That being said, this is a (very) well maintained tractor which helps a lot. This particular tractor however gets the 'extra plus plus' treatment.

It is a trade-in machine and these particular models are pretty sought after. 

The new customer requested the underside of the tractor (grey parts) to be resprayed. So that's why it's good and clean.

Also the green parts where polished, it will get new rims and tyres, new front fenders. Black frame parts like stairs and battery box were sandblasted and painted aswell.

Also all the exterior lights were replaced with LED replacements. 

So basically this will be an as good as new tractor when it's done.

• Excellent 4

Tractorhead
10 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Short answer: NO :lol::lol:

That being said, this is a (very) well maintained tractor which helps a lot. This particular tractor however gets the 'extra plus plus' treatment.

It is a trade-in machine and these particular models are pretty sought after. 

The new customer requested the underside of the tractor (grey parts) to be resprayed. So that's why it's good and clean.

Also the green parts where polished, it will get new rims and tyres, new front fenders. Black frame parts like stairs and battery box were sandblasted and painted aswell.

Also all the exterior lights were replaced with LED replacements. 

So basically this will be an as good as new tractor when it's done.

Great job you‘re doing with the Damping.

Depending on the new Tractas and their Sizes of how they rising also the value raises.

The good thing is the better comfort depending on electronic gadgets, but also the Horror can be this Electronic gadgets and their Wire Harness.

Because of the massive Electronics inside a good condition is recommended.

problems can occur not only on worse maintained Machines

but it is easier to find problems in well maintaines Machines independing from gently to massive troubles,

so a well maintained Tracta is a 1/2 a bet.

• Like 1